App Review A Microsoft Defender Follow-up

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
The initial CPL malware drops a DLL payload:
C:\Antivirus.System.Update.KB16889415-_.cpl.dll
and uses a Regsvr32 LOLBin to execute it.

This is a well-known attack vector, so the AVs (not only Defender) have more chances to detect it behaviorally compared to the MSI attacks with a side loading method.
The payload is a DLL so can be in theory detected by Defender's cloud-delivered protection - this is clearly stated in Microsoft's documentation (the support for MSI is not mentioned).
Finally, the CPL vector is extremely rare, even compared to MSI. I could find on Malware Bazaar hundreds of MSI malware, and 0 CPL samples.

So, even if we could find some samples undetected on VirusTotal or samples that could compromise Defender, the attacks via CPL files will not be as dangerous as in the case of MSI.
Anyway, if someone has access to this sample it would be good to check how efficiently Microsoft can fight it.
A tester on another security forum ran this sample and Microsoft Defender failed to stop the encryption process. Although a behavior-based detection, "Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml", was triggered, it's useless.

7-8-2022_205211_bbs.kafan.cn.jpeg

Also please note that samples on MalwareBazaar are only a small portion of ITW threats. CPL-based Magniber ransomware is not particularly new. This kind of malware has been investigated and analyzed by Ahnlab last month, and they even published a report on this (Change in Magniber Ransomware (*.msi → *.cpl) - July 20th - ASEC BLOG).

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
A tester on another security forum ran this sample and Microsoft Defender failed to stop the encryption process. Although a behavior-based detection, "Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml", was triggered, it's useless.

I cannot say for sure, but this is how can often work cloud-delivered protection + post-infection detection + BAFS. The first victim would be infected, because cloud-delivered protection was too slow to save him. But, in the meantime, fast detection was created in the cloud (Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml), and other users can be protected. Furthermore, this detection could work also on the first victim's computer, the encryption could be stopped after some time, but before the malware would encrypt all possible files.

Of course, you can be also right in the case when the detection stopped some unimportant part of the attack. We cannot be sure without inspecting the sample.

Also please note that samples on MalwareBazaar are only a small portion of ITW threats. CPL-based Magniber ransomware is not particularly new. This kind of malware has been investigated and analyzed by Ahnlab last month, and they even published a report on this (Change in Magniber Ransomware (*.msi → *.cpl) - July 20th - ASEC BLOG).
I have already read this report and that is why I posted about CPL vector before you entered this thread: Video - A Microsoft Defender Follow-up

We know that Malware Bazaar can contain only a small portion of malware samples but still, there is a big difference between several hundreds of MSI samples (Magniber and several other malware types) and 0 CPL samples in the period of time VI 2021-VIII 2022. It strongly suggests, that the CPL initial attack vector was extremely rare so far.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
But why would they switch to an attack vector thats easier for AV's to detect?

We do not know the real motivations of Magniber guys, but they often change the attack vector:

They could simply use the old WannCry and be happy.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I don't understand why many vendors are still not taking Magniber seriously.
Many of them just add Hashes regularly to the cloud and that's it.
Maybe because Magniber mainly attacks personal users in Asia?

The AV vendors do not bother about one fly when there are so many vultures around.

1659890369849.png

Of course, they can be wrong.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I cannot say for sure, but this is how can often work cloud-delivered protection + post-infection detection + BAFS. The first victim would be infected, because cloud-delivered protection was too slow to save him. But, in the meantime, fast detection was created in the cloud (Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml), and other users can be protected. Furthermore, this detection could work also on the first victim's computer, the encryption could be stopped after some time, but before the malware would encrypt all possible files.

Of course, you can be also right in the case when the detection stopped some unimportant part of the attack. We cannot be sure without inspecting the sample.

I have already read this report and that is why I posted about CPL vector before you entered this thread: Video - A Microsoft Defender Follow-up

We know that Malware Bazaar can contain only a small portion of malware samples but still, there is a big difference between several hundreds of MSI samples (Magniber and several other malware types) and 0 CPL samples in the period of time VI 2021-VIII 2022. It strongly suggests, that the CPL initial attack vector was extremely rare so far.
1. According to the tester, all the test files were unfortunately encrypted.
2. "Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml" is a detection created in the cloud? I'm unsure because the suffix is not "!cl".
3. The tester may not be the first victim, as the sample was uploaded to VT the day before yesterday.
4. Many MSI Magniber samples on MalwareBazaar were actually uploaded by a member of Kafan (the forum mentioned above). This tester also tested MSI-based Magniber vs Microsoft Defender in the past, and the results were not satisfying.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
2. "Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml" is a detection created in the cloud? I'm unsure because the suffix is not "!cl".
3. The tester may not be the first victim, as the sample was uploaded to VT the day before yesterday.
4. Many MSI Magniber samples on MalwareBazaar were actually uploaded by a member of Kafan (the forum mentioned above). This tester also tested MSI-based Magniber vs Microsoft Defender in the past, and the results were not satisfying.
Can answer for the second one.

An "Behavior" detection means it was detected by Windows Defender's Behavior Monitoring, with "Execution" meaning Defender detected execution of malicious code, the !ml means it was detected by the local machine learning as detection by cloud machine learning would indeed by "!cl". TL;DR: local Behavioral ML detected execution of malicious code.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
The initial CPL malware drops a DLL payload:
C:\Antivirus.System.Update.KB16889415-_.cpl.dll
and uses a Regsvr32 LOLBin to execute it.

This is a well-known attack vector, so the AVs (not only Defender) have more chances to detect it behaviorally compared to the MSI attacks with a side loading method.
The payload is a DLL so can be in theory detected by Defender's cloud-delivered protection - this is clearly stated in Microsoft's documentation (the support for MSI is not mentioned).
Finally, the CPL vector is extremely rare, even compared to MSI. I could find on Malware Bazaar hundreds of MSI malware, and 0 CPL samples.

So, even if we could find some samples undetected on VirusTotal or samples that could compromise Defender, the attacks via CPL files will not be as dangerous as in the case of MSI.
Anyway, if someone has access to this sample it would be good to check how efficiently Microsoft can fight it.
Maybe it will be brought to the HUB, it can be found here (requires HA account):
Confirmed working inside Win 10 x64, ShadowDefender environment, F-Secure FreeDome VPN, not blocked by K7 Ultimate Security v16.0.0701 behaviour blocker / Anti-Ransomware module, though DataLocker safes my precious documents. Already reported to K7 staff.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Could you post a link to this test?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

The suffix !cl does not mean "cloud", but it is a specific category:
  • !cl: an internal category used to refer to some threats
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mi...telligence/malware-naming?view=o365-worldwide

The detection with !cl suffix can happen when scanning the system, for example:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-runner/-/issues/2544

The !ml suffix means machine learning. When cloud-delivered protection works, the file can be
sometimes uploaded to the cloud backend and after creating the fast detection it is downloaded to the client machine. Next, Defender can block the file/process by using this behavior-based detection. I do not know if the detection was done with or without the cloud backend, so I asked for the link to the test.

As soon as the sample was uploaded, a backend file-processing system analyzed the sample. A multi-class machine learning classifier determined there was more than a 95% chance that the file was malicious. The cloud protection service created a signature, which it sent back to client.
https://www.microsoft.com/security/...me-defense-against-never-before-seen-malware/

Last edited:

Digmoons

Jun 13, 2022
wow, so few software detecting it in Virus Total. Recently I've switched from Kaspersky to F-Secure, but if it was today, I think I would have renewed Kaspersky.
I'm afraid...😱

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.