Advice Request A private bookmarker sync for Brave?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hello guys

Recently i've been using Brave browser as an chromium alternative for Chrome. It's faster and more private than google's "spy browser". However, despite been as excellent alternative, it still miss somethings for been such a new project. The sync option for example is little bug. I'm searching for an alternative that could sync bookmark (and hopefully other things too) but keeping privacy in mind. I checked Eversync (from everhelper), Atavi and Raindrop, but none seems to have a good privacy policy (i'm not an expert on that matter, so you can check by yourself and correct if i'm wrong) .

Any ideas?
(btw, if you have a way to automatically translate pages as Chrome does, i would like to know too :p)

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Hi @Tiamati, ever since Xmarks from LastPass is discontinued I've been using the following services to sync my bookmark.
  • Book.io (URL: here)
    • No privacy disclaimer found so YMMV
  • Start.me (URL: here)
    • Privacy disclaimer found here (URL: here)
    • Shares data with Google and Amazon services so YMMV
  • Google account sync (I'm fully onboard Google services so its not applicable to your use case)
Unforunately I too do not know much about privacy focus bookmark sync on the market and would also like to know more too.

Hope this helps. Cheers. :cool:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hi @Tiamati, ever since Xmarks from LastPass is discontinued I've been using the following services to sync my bookmark.
  • Book.io (URL: here)
    • No privacy disclaimer found so YMMV
  • Start.me (URL: here)
    • Privacy disclaimer found here (URL: here)
    • Shares data with Google and Amazon services so YMMV
  • Google account sync (I'm fully onboard Google services so its not applicable to your use case)
Unforunately I too do not know much about privacy focus bookmark sync on the market and would also like to know more too.

Hope this helps. Cheers. :cool:
Hello @generalwu . Ty. I'll check them later and post a feedback as soon as i can.

For now, i found this option

Xbrowsersync and it's github group

It claims to be opensource and to respect privacy. But i just knew them now, so idk it they can be trusted.

Anyway, i'll keep checking
It is a known bug that Brave is hopefully working on but I don't know more than that. So keep your fingers crossed.

Edit: here is one example Brave iOS accessing EVERY synced bookmark on sync. Why? and I can't find any positive responses from devs re: sync bugs.

Indeed @oldschool, I found some old posts from MAR/2019. And it seems to be not fully functional yet. I've already found 2 or 3 bugs with their sync option. I hope they fix it fast, cause Brave browser itself is amazing! Trully, the best browser alternative since Firefox (when IE was the only option, years ago). If they could fix this, translation options and add more stability and information to the system, i think it would become one of the major browsers around here. Let's keep fingers crossed as you said.

Reactions: harlan4096 and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.