Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi everyone !

As you can imagine I open this thread to discuss about my curiosities :

This time I wonder : let's suppose your router get infected and its DNS change into malicious DNS .

But..

You previously set manually on your PC norton DNS ( or someone else DNS )

Or you set ,on your PC ,norton DNS even after the infection .

In these two scenarios who would win?
DNS on PC or DNS on router ?

I know that router DNS are not ok and should be fixed , but I am asking if you would get pop ups/ redirects / slow downs / etc

Looking forward to hearing from you

Thank you for reading :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
By setting the DNS on the PC you get a filtering that can prevent a good portion of the unwanted sites, according to certain categories but only on that PC. A better solution is enable the DNS on the router, so the filtering is applied to all devices on your network.
I am using Google DNS (not for security reasons) at router level and no issues for me.

W

Wave

So even with norton DNS ( or others ) on that PC I could probably get some spam websites surfing the net if routed infected .

Thank you
It doesn't matter what DNS you use, there will always be malicious websites which can get by... It doesn't fully eliminate all access to every malicious website.

If your router is infected then you'll need to reinstall the latest firmware for your router; removing the malware which had been installed onto it, thus ridding of the infection (similar to a BIOS infection and therefore you flash the BIOS to rid of the infection). If this doesn't work then just get a new router... It can always be handy to have a spare router stored somewhere in the case of your existing one becoming infected/breaking anyway.

What the man is asking is whether or not the router DNS will override the local (host) system DNS settings.

The answer is "No" - unless the system is set to automatically detect and use the router DNS.

Once you set the local system to use a specific DNS, then it will use that DNS regardless of the DNS set in the router. If that were not the case then everybody would be stuck using the router DNS - and proxies, VPNs, setting a local DNS such as Norton ConnectSafe, etc would not work.

In other words, the DNS settings of the end device (local system) override the router DNS settings.

There's a difference between a malware that modifies the DNS on the local system and one that changes the router DNS. He's asking about the second case.

AnDNSChanger infection is typically the result of weak configurations of both the router and system networking - and most of all - launching unknown\untrusted files on your system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
What the man is asking is whether or not the router DNS will override the local (host) system DNS settings.

The answer is "No" - unless the system is set to automatically detect and use the router DNS.

Once you set the local system to use a specific DNS, then it will use that DNS regardless of the DNS set in the router. If that were not the case then everybody would be stuck using the router DNS - and proxies, VPNs, setting a local DNS such as Norton ConnectSafe, etc would not work.

There's a difference between a malware that modifies the DNS on the local system and one that changes the router DNS. He's asking about the second case.

Thank you everyone ! Yes I am exactly asking that : if there would be a perfect override

Thank you everyone ! Yes I am exactly asking that : if there would be a perfect override

Well, you know how it is. Despite all the built-in protections - and even if a user utilizes each one of them - there is always some possibility - even if it is a very small probability - that some malc0der will discover and exploit some vulnerability. Router vulnerabilities are quite notorious. Insecure system networking configuration is a problem as well.

Harden your router following online guides. Harden your local system security, then immediately lock it down. Best protection.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
May I ask one last question?
Let's suppose I set PC DNS on automatic .
And a malware has changed my router DNS ..
Using nslookup command , I would find an incorrect ip for every website ?
Thank you

( I mean.. You know typing in prompt window "nslookup facebook.com " -> it should give you an incorrect / correct ip )

Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Thank you . So in your guide you say " probably " . That means at least some ip could be resolved correctly
Yes, I said "probably" because the variables involved are many and you don't never know for sure that, but you have the reasonable certainty that an event can occur.

As for rom-0 test as I said "It can detect the IP address that in 99% of the cases (except that you have to use applications for the masking of IP) is the address assigned by the ISP to your router, at the time of the connection."

U

uncle bill

the answer is YES if an attacker pawned your device. here's a screenshot of my firewall tracerouting a google dns to itself (i've not been hacked, it's just a proof of concept.. :) )
2zfkbpu.png

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
the answer is YES if an attacker pawned your device. here's a screenshot of my firewall tracerouting a google dns to itself (i've not been hacked, it's just a proof of concept.. :) )
2zfkbpu.png

Sorry but I don't get your picture ( I don't know Linux even if sometimes I tried xubunto or others )

Have you manually set DNS in you PC ?

And what you did to your router ?

And what kind of attacker? I don't mean a Russian hacker crew

Thank you for your interest

Last edited:
U

uncle bill

To make it simple i instructed my router/firewall to:
1) resolve google.it to a specific address which is different from the real ones;
2) redirect all kind of data traffic directed to 8.8.8.8 to another ip.
In other words, if i get access to your router i can change the real ip address for every domains in the world and can route traffic to a specific ip address to another ip address.
Do you feel a little less safer now?
:)

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
To make it simple i instructed my router/firewall to:
1) resolve google.it to a specific address which is different from the real ones;
2) redirect all kind of data traffic directed to 8.8.8.8 to another ip.
In other words, if i get access to your router i can change the real ip address for every domains in the world and can route traffic to a specific ip address to another ip address.
Do you feel a little less safer now?
:)

Ok I got thank you , but

How are set DNS on your PC ? Automatic or you set norton ( or what you want) manually ? I don't know how to do it on Linux , but I can on Windows

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
furthermore it would be even simply to try: just set some dns in the router and other on the pc..but unfortunately my stupid router does not let me change its dns in its UI

well thank you for your replies

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
furthermore it would be even simply to try: just set some dns in the router and other on the pc..but unfortunately my stupid router does not let me change its dns in its UI

well thank you for your replies
Well at the end I can tell you do not worry about it too much, in many years I have never had problems a router level.

Stay safe Dirk41 :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.