App Review A Ranstop by TemaSoft Overview

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Please note that the 3rd ransomware file, Nemucod1, is really a Blackhat beta. Although it will encrypt files, it will NOT delete those files that have been encrypted. So the test here is if the product can detect and stop the encryption process and nothing else.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Good test, @cruelsister! :)

I guess Ranstop will have a bright future because of its recovery ability. But I wonder how it would react to legitimate "mass encryption".

Anyway, AppGuard is next to be tested, so I'm excited. :D

Edit: AppCheck is next to be tested, not AppGuard. :D

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Please note that the 3rd ransomware file, Nemucod1, is really a Blackhat beta. Although it will encrypt files, it will NOT delete those files that have been encrypted. So the test here is if the product can detect and stop the encryption process and nothing else.

So are you ready to test AppCheck Antiransom Pro against Temasoft Ranstop side-by-side for some new set of ransomware to see who can stop better and who can recover better? Remember to test their MBR protection as well.

Thanks

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
God! and I wonder why my employer makes me have assistants! Yes, I meant AppCheck and NOT AppGuard. Thank you very much for pointing this out!!!!!

Actually this video is part 1 of 4 all using the same malware.
part 2- AppCheck
part 3- HMP.A
Part 4- CF

all of which are already done and will be released weekly. I did notice that HMP.A put out a new Release candidate which I tried against this malware and the results were the same. If they do put out a new version and the results differ I'll redo the video (all of the above I completed already).

Harbor- both RanStop and AppCheck (paid) will stop the MFT/MBR encryptors. RanStop will allow a text box from Satana2 to start with Windows (trivial as you can get rid of it either through MSCONFIG or by hacking the registry), and one of the Petya's will send Windows into reboot, but in no case will the system itself be affected adversely. AppCheck just stops them all.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

A review long waited for, excellent job @cruelsister! I really enjoyed that unusual long one a lot :)
With all those Anti-Ransoms mushrooming up, i was a bit sceptical initally (reading those comments on it in early days), but like as you mentioned, they really work hard on that product, and they care! It's a very promising product, which has found it's place next to AVG on my main PC, just in case.

Luke17

Level 1
Mar 19, 2017
Very good review, @cruelsister! Considering the fact that the real pain point about ransomware is not the malware itself infecting a machine, but the fact that victims usually loose their files (or money), it's good there are anti-ransom products that can protect files effectively even when ransomware is not blocked. Looking forward to the other reviews!

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
E- I've wanted to have a go at RansomOff but have had issues with it. I tried two of their builds and had problems with both- for the first one I kept getting a "dll not found" message (and the dll was never specified), and with the last one it would install but not activate on Win 7, and on win10 would blue screen on reboot.

I tried to see if a different build was available, but for the past few days when you go to the download section you will see this: "We are making a few changes. Please check back often."

So we'll see if these issues can be resolved...

M

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
E- I've wanted to have a go at RansomOff but have had issues with it. I tried two of their builds and had problems with both- for the first one I kept getting a "dll not found" message (and the dll was never specified), and with the last one it would install but not activate on Win 7, and on Windows 10 would blue screen on reboot.

I tried to see if a different build was available, but for the past few days when you go to the download section you will see this: "We are making a few changes. Please check back often."

M
I also had the same issue but the dev. showed me how to fix the dll mssing issue by installing .NET framework 4.5.2 and Visual C++ 2012 and 2015. Too many requirements
I also experienced some bugs which were really annoying

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
That's actually what I have heard- and as the download links have been down for like 72hr, maybe they are taking things seriously. I does scare me that a released product, even if it is in Beta, can have such prominent installation issues- that's what Quality Control is for.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
E- I've wanted to have a go at RansomOff but have had issues with it. I tried two of their builds and had problems with both- for the first one I kept getting a "dll not found" message (and the dll was never specified), and with the last one it would install but not activate on Win 7, and on Windows 10 would blue screen on reboot.

M
RansomOff is online again download link is working now.;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Terrific review, nothing can stop with the backup mechanism.

It needs a little setup to assigned which files are needed and can recover anytime.

Definitely, a company/enterprise should consider the program like RanStop where simple preparation only in terms of backup.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.