• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
RE: Abine Do Not Track Plus (DNT+)

Littlebits said:
but it failed to detect as many ad trackers as what Ghostery could.
Yup i also saw this difference coz i m using both.But one thin i like in dnt+ its rewards system:)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

Earth said:
Thanks for the reminder.

I do have EasyPrivacy enabled on AdBlock, but DNT+ did continue to find trackers. :huh: Is that normal?

At the moment, it's looking like this extension functions a lot like RequestPolicy. Basically looking for XSS links in the pages code and blocking those. This happens before AdBlock Plus acts.

With RequestPolicy, RP mentions that Google AdSense is used on a page and blocks it. As a consequence, ABP does not block AdSense because it is already blocked by RP.

Without RP, ABP blocks AdSense.

And interestingly, RP acts before DNT+.

So this is the timeline.

RequestPolicy - DNT+ - ABP - Ghostery

LawnTractor

Oct 20, 2012

Using the tracking protection feature in IE9 - NZ Fanboys Do Not Track List.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I use DNT+. I use it because while marketing is very necessary, it is also being rammed down our throats WAY TOO MUCH. I will do anything to make someones marketing budget increase due to data tracking inefficiencies caused by products like Ghostery and DNT. I refuse to so much as watch a TV commercial anymore, and I turn down the radio when people try to tell me things I don't need to hear.

Ask yourself two questions: Is it useful and otherwise necessary?
Does it entertain me?

Those two questions will keep you from listening to and watching junk that exclusively makes some marketing department somewhere feel really good about themselves. The same goes for crappy movie directors, actors, etc. I hate generic junk of ALL KINDS. When I can disrupt or block the source of that...............GAME ON
Let us not reward generally annoying people and what they do to get our attention or eavesdrop.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

HeffeD said:
arsenaloyal said:
used to use it,but not anymore, ghostery is better than DNT+, but the medal aspect in DNT+ is cool i must admit LOL

And AdBlock Plus trumps them all.

Why bother with multiple extensions when you can just install ABP with the EasyPrivacy filter?

In my testing, Ghostery never found any trackers using the above extension and filter. :)

Many tracker beacons and widgets by default are accepted by Adblock Plus (even with EasyPrivacy or Fanboy's filter) since they are commonly needed by the user. With Ghostery and Don Not Track Plus you have control if you want to allow or block them. Some users don't want tracker beacons and widgets like Facebook to follow them around everywhere they go. With all of the news posted lately about privacy concerns for social media sites and other websites, extension like Ghostery and DNT+ give users options to control their privacy.

Thanks.:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I now have Ghostery, Better Privacy and Do Not Track Plus. Now all I need to do is to find out how to put a Ghostery button up by my ABP and DNT+ buttons at the top right of my Firefox browser.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

Littlebits said:
Many tracker beacons and widgets by default are accepted by Adblock Plus (even with EasyPrivacy or Fanboy's filter) since they are commonly needed by the user. With Ghostery and Don Not Track Plus you have control if you want to allow or block them. Some users don't want tracker beacons and widgets like Facebook to follow them around everywhere they go. With all of the news posted lately about privacy concerns for social media sites and other websites, extension like Ghostery and DNT+ give users options to control their privacy.

Thanks.:D

Sure, there are always tradeoffs to be made when usability is a concern. Security always takes a hit when usability is increased.

However, ABP does give you the control to block anything a website wants to load. (I even block all third-party scripts) If you don't use Facebook, Digg, etc... Block the widgets! It's easy enough to do. (You could even just block the entire domain) I forge my referrer headers, so the widgets are of no consequence to me.

Of course, the EasyPrivacy filter list suffers from the same issues of any blacklist. They are incredibly difficult to keep current.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012

HeffeD said:
arsenaloyal said:
used to use it,but not anymore, ghostery is better than DNT+, but the medal aspect in DNT+ is cool i must admit LOL

And AdBlock Plus trumps them all.

Why bother with multiple extensions when you can just install ABP with the EasyPrivacy filter?

In my testing, Ghostery never found any trackers using the above extension and filter. :)

i use AdMuncher and no browser addons :p

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I have been playing around with Ghostery a bit. I have it set aggressively. It seems to be outdoing DNT+, but I will keep DNT+ regardless. It may be beating DNT+ simply because I have cookies screened by Ghostery.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Formerly DoNotTrack Plus (DNT+) now released as the improved DoNotTrackMe

New version: - MORE INFO
  • DoNotTrackMe (DNTMe) is the new and improved DoNotTrackPlus. It’s the same free privacy software that prevents online tracking and improves your security on the Internet, with more powerful blocking and an improved UI. DNTMe blocks hundreds of online trackers on millions of sites, and is rated "Spectacular” by CNET.

When you’re using DNTMe:
  • View the number of trackers you’re blocking like Facebook, Twitter, and Google Analytics.
  • Prevent cookies that store your info from being stored in the first place.
  • Block ads with tracking capability, including annoying ads that seem to follow you everywhere you go.
  • Get privacy alerts when we have news or tips about the site you’re visiting. For example, if Facebook changes their privacy policy, you’ll get an alert the next time you visit Facebook.

Your privacy:
  • DNTMe is a tool that that prevents online tracking, so naturally, we don't collect any data about our users.

Download
  • For PC & Macs: Chrome, IE, Firefox, & Safari

mikey

Nov 29, 2011
DNTMe is a tool that that prevents online tracking, so naturally, we don't collect any data about our users.

Perhaps someone can answer; If that were true, why not have users DL and update the db locally the way AdBlockPlus does instead of accessing their db online with each and every request while giving them your entire surfing history.

Storing the db locally would increase browsing speed and negate any suspicion of data mining.

Personally, I think the anti-spyware community as a whole should target these nasties as the spyware they are!

GetAbine

Dec 11, 2012
Hi. Abine here. Hopefully I can clear up the fact that DoNotTrackMe isn’t tracking you.

DoNotTrackMe does not track any of your web activity. It has no ability to collect data about what sites you visit or any other web behavior. The tool can save your personal settings and preferences, but those are stored locally on your computer.

Our software is built entirely around the principle of privacy. We have no ability to track our users. You can verify this fact yourself by using an app that monitors the requests made for your computer's information throughout the day. Two examples of apps like these are Live HTTP Headers or WireChart, neither of which were made by us. Our software makes one request per day to your computer for updated tracker blocking rules. It also checks for upgrades to new versions of DNTMe. You will be able to see those requests and what they entail.

You can also see in Part A of our Privacy policy that "Abine will not track, store or transmit to any server or third party, information regarding users' behavioral data (to include web browsing activity); Nor will we “deliver or help others deliver any targeted advertising to users,” as stated in Part C.

To run our business, there are a few limited pieces of information we need to know to make sound decisions about the business and our products. For example, we know the total number of times that DNTMe has been installed. Because there is a unique version of DNTMe for each browser (Safari, Chrome, FireFox, IE), we know how many installs there have been for each browser. On a daily basis, we know how many users we have of DNTMe and if those users are based in or outside the US, but we don’t store that information. Lastly, we know how many visits to abine.com come from the DNTMe tool, but we do not know who clicked, how many times, or any other details.

GetAbine

Dec 11, 2012

mikey said:
"Since no one likes fun topics.. "

Sorry about that. These things bug me.

Regardless of browser family, when I look at the add-on catalogs, all I see is a sea of garbage. We used to call wares that behave like this 'spyware'.

Since you posted similarly negative and unsubstantiated stuff elsewhere on this site, I'll answer you again here. DoNotTrackMe isn’t tracking you, and you're not doing yourself any favors by categorically writing off all browser add-ons as "spyware," especially ones like ours that are the exact opposite.

DoNotTrackMe does not track any of your web activity. It has no ability to collect data about what sites you visit or any other web behavior. The tool can save your personal settings and preferences, but those are stored locally on your computer.

Our software is built entirely around the principle of privacy. We have no ability to track our users. You can verify this fact yourself by using an app that monitors the requests made for your computer's information throughout the day. Two examples of apps like these are Live HTTP Headers or WireChart, neither of which were made by us. Our software makes one request per day to your computer for updated tracker blocking rules. It also checks for upgrades to new versions of DNTMe. You will be able to see those requests and what they entail.

You can also see in Part A of our Privacy policy that "Abine will not track, store or transmit to any server or third party, information regarding users' behavioral data (to include web browsing activity); Nor will we “deliver or help others deliver any targeted advertising to users,” as stated in Part C.

Here’s the only info we have.

To run our business, there are a few limited pieces of information we need to know to make sound decisions about the business and our products. For example, we know the total number of times that DNTMe has been installed. Because there is a unique version of DNTMe for each browser (Safari, Chrome, FireFox, IE), we know how many installs there have been for each browser. On a daily basis, we know how many users we have of DNTMe and if those users are based in or outside the US, but we don’t store that information. Lastly, we know how many visits to abine.com come from the DNTMe tool, but we do not know who clicked, how many times, or any other details.

• We’ve never used any trackers on our own website. No tracking cookies, ad networks, or social buttons.
• DoNotTrackMe doesn’t collect your personal information.
• We make our money when our customers or our investors give it to us, not from advertisers or third parties.
• We encrypt all DeleteMe customer data.
• We collect the least amount of information that’s absolutely necessary for whichever product or service you’re using and delete it when we don’t need it anymore.
• Our privacy policy is short and easy to understand.
• We do not share your data with third parties.
• We won’t turn over any of the (very limited) data we have unless we’re legally required to.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

GetAbine

Dec 11, 2012

Stranger said:
In my opinion i don't care if some ad agency track me but if its some type of threat which can cause financial or personal loss i should really care to it but i don't think that ad agency google or facebook do these exterme steps so i find no use of using this types of extension
I only feel lots of extension slow down browsing so i don't use it
Thanks

Abine here (makers of DoNotTrackMe). In our experience blocking online tracking, we've seen exactly these kinds of harms. Trackers follow you across the web, collecting and selling personal information like the articles you read, your favorite sites, your Facebook friends, your buying habits, and the videos you watch to build super-detailed profiles about you. Companies use these profiles for things ranging from merely annoying, like targeted online ads, to scary, like determining your creditworthiness or hireability. Tracking has led to demonstrated price discrimination, where you see a different price as someone else for an identical product based on who the advertisers & trackers think you are.

As far as the browsing speed point you brought up, blocking tracking can actually lead to page load speeds up to 4x *faster* than without blocking. More than a quarter--26.3%--of what your browser does when you load a website is respond to requests for your personal information, leaving the remaining 73.7% for things you actually want your browser doing, like loading videos, articles, and photos. Google makes 20.28% of all tracking requests on the web, while Facebook makes 18.84% of all tracking requests on the web. (These numbers come from our October internal crawl of the top 5,000 websites in the US, as determined by Quantcast). That means about a quarter of your bandwidth is feeding tracking. The more trackers on a site, the more slowly it tends to load. That's why blocking a tracker-heavy site leads to a net increase in page load speed.

Hope this helped!

GetAbine

Dec 11, 2012

Littlebits said:
I have used Do Not Track Plus before and it a good extension but it failed to detect as many ad trackers as what Ghostery could.

Ghostery much have a much larger database, like on some sites, Ghostery could detect up to 20 trackers whereas Do Not Track Plus only would detect 10 or less.

Of coarse you use use both Do Not Track Plus and Ghostery together and compare the difference for yourself. You might get double notifications for the same trackers.

Enjoy!!:D

Abine here--thanks for using DNTMe! People often ask how we compare to Ghostery, so I have more details on that. In terms of performance, DNTMe creates fewer page errors than Ghostery. We do a lot of testing and receive a ton of bug reports from our users about page errors, like this video isn't loading on ESPN or this comment box isn't working, and we make individual tweaks to prevent that from happening. However, I believe Ghostery currently has a slightly longer list of trackers they block than DNT+, although we're always working to expand that when we find new ones. DNT+ blocks tracking by default, whereas you have to manually turn that on in Ghostery.

Other than error rates, there's not a huge difference in what the products do. In terms of business model/philosophy, however, there's a pretty big difference. Ghostery is owned by Evidon, formerly called Better Advertising Inc. They make money when Ghostery users opt into GhostRank, which collects and sells to advertisers aggregate information about the sites you visit, the ads you see, the links you click, etc., in order to build "better" advertising. They clearly state this on their website (at http://www.evidon.com/solutions/encompass ):

"Evidon Encompass leverages a proprietary library of more than 1,100 tracking scripts, as well as the seven million-member, opt-in Ghostery® panel, which anonymously supplies tracking code data on over 26 million websites."

Contrast their business model with ours: we have a freemium model and use zero tracking. We don't collect personal information through DNTMe, period. We make money when our customers choose to buy one of our premium products, like DeleteMe. We don't have any trackers on our site or in DNTMe, and we don't sell (or have) user data through our add-ons. In sum, Ghostery is monetized through Evidon, an advertising compliance company. DNTMe is monetized through consumers who decide to pay us.

GetAbine

Dec 11, 2012

ZOU1 said:
I use DNT+. I use it because while marketing is very necessary, it is also being rammed down our throats WAY TOO MUCH. I will do anything to make someones marketing budget increase due to data tracking inefficiencies caused by products like Ghostery and DNT. I refuse to so much as watch a TV commercial anymore, and I turn down the radio when people try to tell me things I don't need to hear.

Ask yourself two questions: Is it useful and otherwise necessary?
Does it entertain me?

Those two questions will keep you from listening to and watching junk that exclusively makes some marketing department somewhere feel really good about themselves. The same goes for crappy movie directors, actors, etc. I hate generic junk of ALL KINDS. When I can disrupt or block the source of that...............GAME ON
Let us not reward generally annoying people and what they do to get our attention or eavesdrop.

Thanks! Glad you like it.

mikey

Nov 29, 2011
Thx Abine, you've actually convinced me to take a good look at your product in particular.

My awareness of the Ghostery history and function is the very cause of my attitude toward these type products. Thx for pointing it out for others.

If my captures prove your claims correct, I'll even endorse the product. However, that is a two way street. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.