Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Some Chrome users on Windows noticed a new warning message about incompatible applications recently when they start the web browser.

The "incompatible applications" notification is displayed to users after Chrome crashes on the system to highlight third-party applications that may be responsible for the crash.

Injections by third-party applications such as antivirus software or PDF readers is a common crash cause; Google revealed in 2017 that Chrome crashes 15% more on systems with third-party party applications that inject code into the browser.

chrome-incompatible-applications-1.png
The company announced a plan at the same time to eliminate code injections in the browser:
  • Chrome 66 (April 2018) -- The browser displays notifications to users after crashes that other software is injecting code into the browser.
  • Chrome 69 (September 2018) -- Chrome will block third-party code injections in the browser. If the injecting process prevents Chrome from starting, Chrome will restart and allow it.
  • Chrome 72 (January 2019) -- Chrome will always block third-party code injections.

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
Google determines what Windows users should use

Developers of Google Chrome have for some time been openly saying that antivirus software is more harmful today than good. In their opinion, third-party protection tools on Windows have a negative impact on the development and stability of web browsers. Until now, however, these were only opinions.
Along with the debut of Chrome 66, Google's developers, however, went to the deeds.
Under the slogan of combating browser failures, in November last year, Chrome received a
feature that reports to users 'incompatible applications' after such a failure.
Users are encouraged to remove programs injecting their code into the browser, because they could lead to its suspension.
This feature went to a wider group of Internet users only in April this year, along with Chrome 66. Browser began to display after failure notification that such and such an application may prevent the correct operation of Chrome. It was, however, only the beginning.

In July, along with Chrome 68, the browser began to display notifications that some programs may prevent it from working correctly and encourage deletion or update. At chrome: // settings / incompatibleApplications you could see the whole list of such 'threats' for stability, along with the buttons to remove them. It just so happens that they were mainly anti-virus tools and system optimizers - products of such companies as Malwarebytes, IObit, BitDefender, Kaspersky Lab, ESET, AVG or Avast. In addition to them, there were also real surprises, such as the Acer power manager, Dropbox client, TortoiseGit client or Filezilla.
g_-_608x405_-_-_x6a08e15d-6f4f-4ba0-a648-0b98c93422ef.JPG

Google then revealed its further plans. From January 2019, with the release of Chrome 72, the injection of code will be blocked by all programs considered to be a threat to browser stability.
It looks like there will be no way to block this block. These programs simply share the fate of browser plug-ins recognized as unnecessary a few years ago.
Manufacturers of independent anti-virus software were placed against the wall. Virtually all
tools of this type inject their code into browsers to monitor user activity and protect it from
online threats. If Chrome prevents it, the value of their products to users will decrease
significantly. So what to do next?
It seems that the industry has not developed a common position. The most important
companies are looking for solutions on their own. Avast and its AVG have released a message that they are changing their products to keep Chrome compatible. You have not been told what exactly was done, but the browser does not want to report them as problems to be removed.

Kaspersky Lab announced that it is aware of the problem of this reported incompatibility,
contacted Google and tried to find a solution. At the same time, he reminds you that injecting code into a browser is a key part of online security, fighting against keyloggers and other threats stealing sensitive user data.

BitDefender announced that to avoid appearing on the list of incompatibilities of Chrome,
released August 20, an update that disables protection against exploits in Chrome.
The company admits that it does so with regret, but it was decided to take such a step for the benefit of users - the point is not to uninstall the anti-virus and not expose themselves to other threats just because Chrome scared them with a warning.
The most interesting, however, is the opinion of Malwarebytes. The company said that Chrome does not check whether the 'incompatible' application causes crashes or not. Google has just made a list of popular applications that users fearlessly detect if they detect the right key in the registry. Interestingly, according to Malwarebytes, there are some applications that inject code in Chrome that may cause browser crashes ... but which are not on this list of incompatibilities.
Could it be some privileged, partner applications?

Google itself is silent on this matter.

Source (page in Polish) >>>Chrome ostrzega przed antywirusami, Google określa, z czego powinni korzystać użytkownicy Windowsa

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I see both sides of the argument, I don't blame Google at all when there are programs that cause issues with the browser, but it's Google that gets the blame. I know Microsoft feels the same way at times, they kinda did something similar, however temporarily, when the first wave of Meltdown/Spectre updates were being release, where by if the AV's didn't set a certain registry key to become compatible they would block any future Windows updates to that machine.

I don't have any programming knowledge, but is Google referencing web traffic scanning (which I thought was done through a Microsoft API through the network stack), or products that inject code for anti-exploit capabilities, or both?

I do have to agree with Malwarebytes stance on the matter where by Google should list all programs, not a select few and that they should only focus on products that cause actual issues. I've used Eset on and off in the past for example and had not experience one issues/crash in my time using it and chrome together, so it remains to be seen what the issue is/was.

TBH I kinda saw this coming, I've seen comments in the past from Google hinting at the fact that they aren't very fond of AV's injecting code in the browser as it can not only cause issues, but it sometimes slows down their development of new tech/features that they want to add to chrome. I've read somewhere (I''ll have to go find it), that Google had to delay their sandboxing tech for a while until they were able to make it compatible with the various AV's. I've also seen numerous times that Google really has been pushing the use of Windows Defender as they find it works and causes the least amount of issues compared to third party programs:unsure:

Well I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out!

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I see both sides of the argument, I don't blame Google at all when there are programs that cause issues with the browser, but it's Google that gets the blame. I know Microsoft feels the same way at times, they kinda did something similar, however temporarily, when the first wave of Meltdown/Spectre updates were being release, where by if the AV's didn't set a certain registry key to become compatible they would block any future Windows updates to that machine.....

…. I've also seen numerous times that Google really has been pushing the use of Windows Defender as they find it works and causes the least amount of issues compared to third party programs:unsure:

Well I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out!

Another reason to use WD, as long as it's hardened and paired with something else.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Another reason to use WD, as long as it's hardened and paired with something else.

WD is a system hog and I question if it will remain a competent product in the long term - it never has.

That aside, AV products injecting has long been a problem and they are best avoided IMO. There are many protection methods that don't need interaction with the browser. Heimdal, Gateway UTM's, Firewall Driver Apps, etc. I've never been a fan of any product that injects into the browser. Kaspersky, ESET, any of them.

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
WD is a system hog and I question if it will remain a competent product in the long term - it never has.

That aside, AV products injecting has long been a problem and they are best avoided IMO. There are many protection methods that don't need interaction with the browser. Heimdal, Gateway UTM's, Firewall Driver Apps, etc. I've never been a fan of any product that injects into the browser. Kaspersky, ESET, any of them.
Anyone have free av suggestions that wont inject it? except wd

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I had a phone call today from an upset young lady I work with whose PC I sorted out which had a plethora of malware+ on a few months back. I can usually sort such things via the phone. Now I can understand Google warning about their incompatible programs but to advise to remove them IMO to those who know little (absolutely nothing) about PC's is plain ridiculous. This is exactly what she had done & left her with the AV which had let her down so badly earlier WD. I drove over as couldn’t sort this on the phone & reinstalled KIS.

I don't think WD was even running properly either as KIS want uninstalled properly. I did get a bottle of wine however. BTW she is now using Edge, & that will be my advise to those who know little or have paid for an AV solution. Hopefully these issues ill be sorted in time.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Google is right. You can't be out here claiming to provide more security when your hooks break important security measures such as the sandbox and ASLR. Get outta here. There are other ways to protect the user. At this point I would like to mention that Google recruited former Firefox employees who thought that FF was just stagnating and blocking their ideas. I'm 100% on Google's side on this. Death to hooks.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo cloud antivirus wont give this message aswell. It has browser protection, but not any kind of web filter or behaviour blocker. Just default block untrusted files

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool
E

Eddie Morra

it can not only cause issues, but it sometimes slows down their development of new tech/features that they want to add to chrome.
I really like this point.

When a crash is ran into with Google Chrome because of an Anti-Virus vendor deciding to do things with the browser which is not officially supported, it isn't fair for Google to be the heart of blame. On top of this, it must be incredibly frustrating to put a lot of focus into developing new features for your customers, only to have to postpone it for a long time because well-known vendors are doing things with your product which is not officially supported.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

When a crash is ran into with Google Chrome because of an Anti-Virus vendor deciding to do things with the browser which is not officially supported, it isn't fair for Google to be the heart of blame. On top of this, it must be incredibly frustrating to put a lot of focus into developing new features for your customers, only to have to postpone it for a long time because well-known vendors are doing things with your product which is not officially supported.

+1! Even though I don't use Google. Everybody has to choose their own poison!

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I had a phone call today from an upset young lady I work with whose PC I sorted out which had a plethora of malware+ on a few months back. I can usually sort such things via the phone. Now I can understand Google warning about their incompatible programs but to advise to remove them IMO to those who know little (absolutely nothing) about PC's is plain ridiculous. This is exactly what she had done & left her with the AV which had let her down so badly earlier WD. I drove over as couldn’t sort this on the phone & reinstalled KIS.

I don't think WD was even running properly either as KIS want uninstalled properly. I did get a bottle of wine however. BTW she is now using Edge, & that will be my advise to those who know little or have paid for an AV solution. Hopefully these issues ill be sorted in time.

You could (have) set her up with WD + ConfigureDefender or Hard_Configurator and that would probably save her from herself.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017

You are making a great point actually. No other software developers would tolerate modding their original software, injecting hooks and then be told to bend over and patch their software so that the cheap hacks by a third party work. These AV vendors wouldn't allow Google to install hooks into their products either. I've always said, if an AV fights the software I use, I uninstall immediately. Your AV should work around your programs not the other way.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

You are making a great point actually. No other software developers would tolerate modding their original software, injecting hooks and then be told to bend over and patch their software so that the cheap hacks by a third party work. These AV vendors wouldn't allow Google to install hooks into their products either. I've always said, if an AV fights the software I use, I uninstall immediately. Your AV should work around your programs not the other way.

+1 Another issue, more so to do with Windows is when Microsoft has APIs to perform certian tasks, but some vendors still choose to do their own thing. Your absolutely right, they wouldn't be very happy with others hooking into their program, so why is it ok for them to do so? They hide behind the preface of, well we are making your system more secure, so it's ok, but like others have said here and other threads, it also increaes your attack sufrsce, as security software isn't free from their own security flaws either.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.