Abraham Lincoln didn't invent Facebook (except on the Internet)

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
CNN said:
To paraphrase "The Social Network," if Abraham Lincoln had invented Facebook, he would have invented Facebook.

But in a tall tale that would have made the Great Emancipator proud, a blog post saying that he did just that was making the rounds Wednesday. And some online media outlets were quick to take the bait.
Blogger Nate St. Pierre, a consultant who works with blogs and other Web businesses to help grow their sites, posted a fantastic yarn Tuesday about stumbling upon a tombstone in Wisconsin that ultimately led him to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, Illinois.

There, he discovered an 1845 patent filed by Honest Abe for a sort of personalized newspaper in which "every Man may have his own page, where he might discuss his Family, his Work, and his Various Endeavors."
Each page would feature a profile picture at the top left. The user's name, address and profession would appear at the top. On a sample page, Lincoln shared two poems he "liked," a short story about the Pilgrims and details about what he did that day (went to the circus).
"Put all that together on one page and tell me what it looks like to you," St. Pierre wrote. "Profile picture. Personal information. Status updates. Copied and shared material. A few longer posts. Looks like something we see every day, doesn't it?"
In short: Lincoln envisioned a paper version of Facebook, 160 years before Mark Zuckerberg.

Except for the fact that none of it is true.
"I just wanted to have fun with it," St. Pierre said Wednesday. "I've done this before. Every couple of years, I do a hoax. I knew this would go big but didn't expect those dozens of outlets to just run with it without 30 seconds of fact-checking."

Read more : http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/09/tech/web/abraham-lincoln-facebook/index.html

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Well,if we need it any other proof that people will believe just about anything then...this is it......... What's next?
Buy Super Windows Security 2012... :D

D

Deleted member 178

No, Apple will distribute Windows 8 on the new Apple Mac Air plus !

I'm sure thousands of people will enjoy it or hate it :D

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I just finished Steve Jobs book. I was unaware that he invented air, I couldn't believe it after all this time I didn't know where air came from. I think we should all give thanks to Steve Jobs for without out him we would be unable to breathe, thanks Steve.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.