Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Config

Real Time Protection:
What security product did you use last time? I strongly recommended giving CIS 5.8 a try ...it's free and a very solid layer of protection.
As for Windows Defender it can be disabled as it's almost worthless..
Comodo Internet Security (Free) - link
Comodo Internet Security is the free, multi-layered security application that keeps hackers out and personal information in.
Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Internet Security offers 360° protection by combining powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention and automatic sandboxing of unknown files.

Additional browser plugins
You can create and secure your passwords with this great addon :
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

A site advisor is a must-have when browsing the internet ...
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Free) - link

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

You should use a virtual environment when browsing or opening unknown or suspicions sites or apps.
Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

FrontPageAnimation.gif

FrontPageLegend.png

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Regarding to CIS 5.8 it would not be difficult to use it, as popups were designed for unknown files while trusted and digitally signed were exclusion for the HIPS.

Less popups so you have a peace of mind. :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
If you find comodo too hard to understand there are other free antiviruses like avast, avira and microsoft security essentials, you can also add a DNS like Norton or Comodo DNS

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Also in addition to that at a browser level, Firefox 7.0 with AdBlock Plus, and No Script to default deny what scripts you want to run. In conjunction with WOT.

And maybe also try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/m86security-secure-browsing/ extension, works with 7.0.

+ Zemana Antilogger, it's light enough on resources so don't hurt to have, search in this site and you will see free method of obtaining a key. :D

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I would suggest all that Jack listed.

Also some great free and paid:

Avast (free&paid)

Norton (paid but has trial)

Avira (paid&free)

ESET (paid)
-----------
If you decide to use a free one, you can always use another app for a firewall like emsisoft... etc

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Do you have a backup of you OS? or any backup at all?

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
McLovin said:
Do you have a backup of you OS? or any backup at all?

Vey good point, which I think we all missed? Too many people just don't backup stock config/os, and when it all goes wrong find they don't have disk or did not come with one. Well worth doing to prepare yourself incase anything should happen, but hopefully won't...

Better to be safe than sorry though! :angel:

Account

Thread author
Oct 19, 2011
Hi all
Thank u all for the great advice,
Have implemented some of jacks suggestions
Comodo Internet Security
Hitman Pro
and from AyeAyeCaptain suggestions Zemana Antilogger
I don't like sandboxie , looking for a Shadow Defender alternative ?
Can anyone suggest some Light Virtualization ?
That can be backed up?
And no I still don't have a backup image program Any suggestions ?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How about try BufferZone Pro since another virtualization. That program include a "snapshot feature" so when there is a problem you can revert it at any time.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
For backups there are free programs such as Macrium Reflect, Paragon Backup and Restore Advanced Free, and Easeus Todo. and a good paid programs is Acronis True Image.

Account

Thread author
Oct 19, 2011
Thank u jamescv7 BufferZone Pro will give it a try tonight
and Thank u imsoadude I will check out Easeus Todo I did have Acronis True Image 2012 all I will say is two words about it (Never Again)

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I find Acronis very bloated, i used it for a while just didnt like it, now im using macrium and i like it the most out of all of them, i find it backs up the quickest out of all of them and just easy to use and easy to restore.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Yeah the one that I would use is Paragon Backup. Very handy tool to keep using. :)

D

Deleted member 178

the only feature that make me choose Acronis is the boot time WinPE loader, that allow me to restore the system if it fails, without any media.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.