Actively Exploited Bug in Fully Updated Firefox

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Scammers are actively exploiting a bug in Firefox that causes the browser to lock up after displaying a message warning the computer is running a pirated version of Windows that has been hacked.

The message reads : Please stop and do not close the PC... The registry key of your computer is locked. Why did we block your computer? The Windows registry key is illegal. The Windows desktop is using pirated software. The Window desktop sends viruses over the Internet. This Windows desktop is hacked. We block this computer for your safety. The message then advises the person to call a toll-free number in the next five minutes or face having the computer disabled.
firefox-locker.gif
The attack works on both Windows and Mac versions of the open source browser. The only way to close the window to is to force-close the entire browser using either the Windows task manager or the Force Close function in macOS. Even then, Firefox will reopen previously open tabs, resulting in an endless loop. To resolve the problem, users must force-close Firefox and then, immediately upon restarting it, quickly close the tab of the scammer site before it has time to load.

Jérôme Segura, head of threat intelligence at security provider Malwarebytes, said the Firefox bug is being exploited by several sites. On Monday, Segura reported the bug to the Bugzilla forum. He said he has since received word Mozilla is actively working on a fix. Firefox representatives couldn't immediately provide information on the status of the bug.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

i used to like FF because you could customize its appearance quite a lot. Now, i prefer Chromium browsers because they are just safer thanks "big wallet" for the bug bounty programs. FF can't even compete with that.
Now i look closely at Chromedge because it aim to unify the best of Chromium and MS security.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
News sites are fear mongering. I don't know anyone who has ever run into one of these exploits.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.