Troubleshoot Ad popping constantly across my Samsung screen

Infected operating system
Android 7.0/ Baseband version: G935FXXU2DRAC
Infected device
I've gone into the Google Settings and have opted out of Ads personalisation. I've also clicked on "Ads by Google" and have managed the Ads settings. I have installed Malware Bytes app and the scan says the device is safe
Infected device issues
About 3 weeks ago: ad popping up across the entire screen every few hours.
Steps taken to remove the infection
About 3 weeks ago: ad popping up across the entire screen every few hours.

AnneR_2018

Level 1
Thread author
May 10, 2018
Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7Edge mobile phone on Android and for the last 3 weeks or so I have ads that keep appearing across my entire screen, interrupting what I'm doing. it's a real nuisance.
I can't tell if it's from the Google Ad Display network or a potential malware. I've gone into the Google Settings and have opted out of Ads personalisation. I've also clicked on "Ads by Google" and have managed the Ads settings. I have installed Malware Bytes app and the scan says the device is safe, so I can' t seem to pinpoint to any potential malicious app or virus.A friend of mine suggested doing a factory reset but I'm not sure if that's necessary- it seems a bit drastic. Does anyone have any advice/ guidance on how to get rid of those ads? I've attached 2 screenshots of those ad examples.

Thanks
Anne

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Its not going to show notification ad or something intruisive. It will have "Buy full version for better protection" or something promoting only its own products. I won't even call that an ad.

Reactions: Weebarra

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Anne,
Usually when ads keep poop-ing up on the screen there are 2 possibilities:
1. You have installed an app which is causing these ads OR an app has been updated and is now showing these unwanted ads.
2. Your router is infected with malware.

I suspect that one of the apps you have installed on your device is causing all these issues.
As an example, I had on my HTC M9 the Peel Universal Smart TV Remote Control app which was OK, but after an update was causing full screen ads on my phone.

What apps have you recently installed? To do this, you can open the Malwarebytes app > Menu > Your apps.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.