Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Adblock Plus blog said:
In a rather surprising move, Google removed Adblock Plus and other ad blocking apps from the Google Play store due to “interference with another service or product in an unauthorized manner.” This looks like a course change at Google, until recently the main distinction between Android and iPhone was that Android allowed you to install any app as long as it wasn’t malicious (meaning that it’s obvious what the app does). Google Play still allows apps stating “for rooted phones only” but I wonder whether these are next on the list to be removed – each of them performs “unauthorized actions”.

What does that mean for existing users?

Users who already have Adblock Plus installed will be able to continue using it. However, they will no longer get updates which means that they should install our next release from our website once it is out.

Read more: http://adblockplus.org/blog/adblock-plus-for-android-removed-from-google-play-store

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've still got it on my phone HA. Now I'm never going to uninstall it. :666:

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
You can still sideload different blockers

https://code.google.com/p/ad-away/

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about#faq

D

Deleted member 178

Google like ads to make money, guess why adblock+ is banned :rolleyes:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:

Not just Adblock Plus, Google remove all the ad blockers from their Market.... They are saying that these apps are interfering with the other apps, and this is affecting the Android users...

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
Umbra Corp. said:

Not just Adblock Plus, Google remove all the ad blockers from their Market.... They are saying that these apps are interfering with the other apps, and this is affecting the Android users...

So the users affected themselves when they installed this app, and they are responsible for what they have done.

I actually faced that problem on my father's phone. He has an app which has monthly database updates. When I installed the ad block app it will not be able to access the internet.

BUT it is our fault, add a warning when installing the app, not remove it from the Play Store itself. I am happy we still can get it from other sources.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As we all know, ads are the revenues to make the site or an area maintained itself and its likely a request for us to whitelist them or turn off the ads claiming its unobtrusive ads.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do Ad-Blockers for Android, block in-app Ads as well?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some adblockers are really lack of capabilities to block in-app ads so its really a primary factor like Adblock to have that feature.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
This app didn't halfway work and gummed up my Nexus 7's jelly bean 4.2 OS. It was so bad I wondered why the developer even released it in the first place. Good riddance to a bad app.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
DenGolfing' pid='111697' dateline='1363625560' said:
This app didn't halfway work and gummed up my Nexus 7's jelly bean 4.2 OS. It was so bad I wondered why the developer even released it in the first place. Good riddance to a bad app.

It is a whole different story if your device is rooted. ;) It never worked for me when it was not rooted, not as what they claim.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks, wondered why it didn't work very well. Developer should have added that in the app description.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
Thanks, wondered why it didn't work very well. Developer should have added that in the app description.

They said it works without rooting too. But I tried it several times but no success. Rooting gives the best experience, but root the device only if you know what you are doing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.