Adblock Plus Preview for IE is available for download

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
The popular advertisement blocker Adblock Plus has been released as a preview version for Microsoft's Internet Explorer by the developers of the application. The release brings the popular browser extension to all major browsers on the Windows operating system.

The preview version is somewhat limited in comparison but that is understandable. It is available as a 32-bit and 64-bit version that you can download and install just like any other program on your system. Internet Explorer will display a notification about the installation on next start. The browser does not enable third party extensions by default unless you explicitly do so.

If you missed that option, click on the settings icon and select manage add-ons from the menu to do so at a later point in time. The program is listed under Toolbars and Extensions as Adblock Plus for IE Browser Helper Object by Eyeo GMBH.

adblock-plus-for-IE.png

adblock-plus-internet-explorer.png

Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/19/adblock-plus-for-internet-explorer-is-here/

Download: https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

Known issues in Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer

1. The AdblockPlusEngine.exe process starts automatically when you start up Internet Explorer with Adblock Plus. However, it won't shut down when the last Internet Explorer window is closed. Fixing this is on our TODO list.

2. The ABP icon shows up in the status bar of Internet Explorer. However, the status bar is hidden by default in newer Internet Explorer versions so this isn't a great location. Of course, displaying a hint explaining how to enable the status bar isn't a solution — we are still looking for a proper solution here.

3. Currently the ABP icon doesn't do anything beyond showing the Adblock Plus preferences. It should show a menu instead that will at least allow disabling Adblock Plus on a website without going to preferences.

4. There is no first-run page to indicate that Adblock Plus was installed correctly — this is work in progress.

5. The processing of blocking rules and especially the element hiding rules is sometimes different from Firefox and Chrome. We are working on some of the issues, others will unfortunately be unavoidable however.

6. We are still working on the performance of our solution, right now there are some issues like Internet Explorer startup being delayed by Adblock Plus (fortunately this is a one-time thing).

7. Enhanced Protected Mode of Internet Explorer 10 and Metro mode Internet Explorer in Windows 8 are two locked down environments that don't allow any third-party code to run — including Adblock Plus. So we unfortunately cannot support these environments at the moment.

Source: https://adblockplus.org/en/known-issues-internet-explorer

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Tracking Protection Lists do the work of blocking Ads just fine. Plus I run IE in Enhanced Protected Mode which prevents unwanted extensions from running (of which I don't need) anyway, and with ActiveX Filtering, Flash won't run unless I allow it.

ABP may be good for some, but I don't think it will be customisable as the FF/Chrome versions.

Edit: You may be better off with a desktop installed Ad Blocker.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
Don't Microsoft's TPL use the same lists as ABP? It won't work on IE10?

Not by default. Their default lists are crippled somewhat to keep advertisers happy, but nothing is stopping you from adding the right one :)
Fanboys TPL

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Working for me, Tested on various websites and loading times were quicker by a second or two but some ads were still missed.

Also memory usage could be better.

nHcq0f9.png

For now using the fanboy tracking lists are still a better option in my opinion.

Known problems are here.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have been using Fanboys TPL on IE10 and it works very well.
I believe it is a little late for Adblock Plus on IE unless it works on older versions of IE without Tracking Protection.

I really see no benefits over just using IE's Tracking Protection with Ghostery.

Thanks.:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Finally bringing it to IE. Took their time with it.

MrXidus said:
Also memory usage could be better.

nHcq0f9.png

Could be just a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.