Added GUI (Graphical UI) For the Harden Windows Security Module/Script

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
Hey everyone! few days ago I added a GUI to the Harden Windows Security module and script, now you can use them easier. There is no dependency or any new file to download, you can even run the GUI directly from GitHub as before.

Here is a demo video

GitHub repository with all the info

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Great work on adding a GUI to the Harden Windows Security module! This will surely make it more user-friendly and easier to handle. The demo video is very informative as well. Thanks for your contribution to the community!

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
It stopped at 'Running the official PowerShell script included in Microsoft 365 Apps Security Baseline file downloaded from Microsoft servers.

Logging to ....

Does your script check for the existence of MS 365 ? I don't have MS 365 installed ! Or does it takes 10 mins to run that portion ?

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
It stopped at 'Running the official PowerShell script included in Microsoft 365 Apps Security Baseline file downloaded from Microsoft servers.

Logging to ....

Does your script check for the existence of MS 365 ? I don't have MS 365 installed ! Or does it takes 10 mins to run that portion ?

M365 apps aren't required to be installed. That category takes only few seconds. Does it take that long when using CLI experience too?

P.S I just ran the same category again on my computer, and also on a VM, they both ran fine, in CLI and GUI experiences. Can you please record a quick video (just press Ctrl + Shift + S to start it) of the problem and send it to me? you can create GitHub issue and upload there.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Does your script have a Finished notification dialog box? I got as far as 'Applying hte Non-Admin registry changes'.

The Log file appeared and I looked in it, and it said 'operation log end' and the time.

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
Does your script have a Finished notification dialog box? I got as far as 'Applying hte Non-Admin registry changes'.

The Log file appeared and I looked in it, and it said 'operation log end' and the time.

no it doesn't have a finished notification, i could add one though

the log saying that means it did its job and the categories you selected ran normally. Currently the log appears only when the GUI is closed but i'm going to make it write to the log file in real time in the next update

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023
I studied the changes made by the script and it doesn't offer significant boost in security Compared to Windows Home Default.
Many of the changes are business oriented.

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023
Hi @SpyNetGirl
I am currently using Windows Home, Kaspersky Free and Cyberlock.
Would running the script create any incompatibilities or should I use only a subset of its features.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Hi @SpyNetGirl , the hardening script blocks the installation of my Xcitium EDR msi installer, complains about an admin policy. If it is a group policy item, which one is responsible for it ? One possible reason is that the msi file is not totally properly signed, the msi is built individually for me.

Last edited:

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
Hi @SpyNetGirl , the hardening script blocks the installation of my Xcitium EDR msi installer, complains about an admin policy. If it is a group policy item, which one is responsible for it ? One possible reason is that the msi file is not totally properly signed, the msi is built individually for me.

Hi,
without knowing what categories you applied or what that file is I can't know for sure.
If you used the Downloads defense measure to block running files from the downloads folder, that might be the reason you can't run it in downloads folder.
If you used the sub-category that requires anything that needs elevation to Admin to be signed and validated, and if the MSI file doesn't meet that requirement, that's in this category.

Reactions: Shadowra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.