Advice Request Adguard-like software (freeware)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Isn't Peter Lowes' AdServers List enabled by default in uBlock Origin?

In fact, can't most, if not all of this be done just with uBlock Origin?

@uninfected1, yes, but uBlock Origin cannot block system wide ads, uBlock Origin can only block in your browser. That's why HOSTSMAN was implemented.

@XavierGaming
Can any of that replace Adguard Stealth Mode?

No, however, the same anonymity can be achieved by users using third party programs for example:

Always blocked cookies on browser, VPN, Tor, and the blocking system we built through our installed blockers (HOSTSMAN + Filters + uBlock Origin + Disconnect)

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As many have said the only system wide alternative is mainly the manipulation using hostman. If you are that concerned ten just use the 6months provided by @Overkill that's what I have in one of my systems as it is a shared system

Reactions: kev216 and Overkill

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
According to me Adguard is the one software that is 100% worth investing of. If you really want an alternative desktop application, I guess there isn't an equivalent, instead you can opt for browser extensions which are already recommended and work efficiently for ur surfing habits.

Reactions: kev216 and Overkill

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I have a very solid alternative combination for Adguard if configured correctly, it can be very powerful and can even overthrow Adguard in terms of protection.

For the first step, download HOSTSMAN (A hosts manager) and select the following filters:

hpHosts (Ad and tracking servers only)

Peter Lowes' AdServers List
Cameleon (This has minimal web protection too)

Secondly, you will need a good ads and malicious website browser-based filter.
A good one is uBlock Origin. Select "I am an advanced user and select all filters except for social blocking as it does break some pages, if you do want to filter them, use Disconnect.

Once this is all done, you're system will be blocking ads from your desktop to your browser just like Adguard.

NOTES AND LINKS:

1. You can download HOSTSMAN here:

HostsMan - abelhadigital.com

2. uBlock Origin and Disconnect should be available to your browser's web store.

3. Check for HOSTSMAN updates regularly for filter updates and program updates.

4. You can block malicious websites using HOSTSMAN too.

5. You can block offers and adware through HOSTSMAN if you've filtered ads.

Stay safe,@Morvotron. :D

What about the best list MVPS? I also use Dan Pollock's list

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
What about the best list MVPS? I also use Dan Pollock's list

You can that's why I've listed it on the notes. I didn't include it in the main steps because it can bloat your hosts file causing pages to load a bit slower. If you want to block them you can just use uBlock Origin as we've filtered all the available sources it offers, and that includes MVPS and more too. I also think blocking malicious sites system wide is not worth it since it can be done through certain extensions without slowdowns. :D

Reactions: Overkill
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.