Not open for further replies.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
A long time ago we added a Web of Trust extension (to monitor websites reputation) to Adguard for Windows and Adguard for Mac. Today we found out that Web of Trust is suspected of selling the browsing history of millions of users to third-parties.

We decided to make an official statement regarding this to assure everyone that extension in Adguard has nothing to do with it.

First of all, we need to say that we do have a Web of Trust extension in Adguard, but it's not that original WoT add-on. It was developed by us, using the data on websites reputation by Web of Trust.
And it's important to mention that we bought this data for money, and have never traded privacy of our users.

Today's news are very disappointing for us, the original Web of Trust extension was removed from addons.mozilla.org and next week we will decide what shall we do with our Web of Trust extension in Adguard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Yeppers, nothing is free. Can't repeat that often enough really.

That aside, I like the way Adguard handles things. They're always on their toes, on top of their game and tell it like it is. Reliable and transparent, the way it should be.

koko

Level 5
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 28, 2013
Yeppers, nothing is free. Can't repeat that often enough really.

That aside, I like the way Adguard handles things. They're always on their toes, on top of their game and tell it like it is. Reliable and transparent, the way it should be.

Fully agree! Also love their software. Bought it for all my pc's and smartphones.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
We live in a world of commerce. Money is what actually moves the market, and sadly we can't see behind a mask. That's why good products never last long until they're bought by a bigger company. No wonders why Google/Facebook/Famous AV Vendors always end up buying third-party software and modifying it and adding to their solution. In a world of lies, truth is targeted as the most dangerous weapon. That's why we'll never know privacy by itself. :confused:

D

Deleted member 2913

Adguard wot has no benefit in my opinion. To see the rating you need to open adguard assistance. If i were them i would remove WOT and save the money they spend on it.
Adguard WOT does block bad websites i.e you get block screen with the options "Go back" & "Continue".
And Adguard Asssitant Icon on webpages changes colour to Red, Yellow, etc for Poor, Bad, etc websites.

And I think Adguard users those like WOT can use it as Adguard Dev cleared they dont give users data to WOT, etc...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Adguard WOT does block bad websites i.e you get block screen with the options "Go back" & "Continue".
And Adguard Asssitant Icon on webpages changes colour to Red, Yellow, etc for Poor, Bad, etc websites.

And I think Adguard users those like WOT can use it as Adguard Dev cleared they dont give users data to WOT, etc...
Hmm i never noticed it changing colors and i use it for a lot of time now. Weird but will test it. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2913

I don't want to sound arrogant but what's the point in buying an adblocker like AdGuard when you can just have something like Ublock. I know AdGuard can block things outside of browsers but is it really worth the money?
If you use 1-2 browsers like Chrome/Firefox And no Windows Apps then I think its better to use extension like uBlock Origin.

Adguard Desktop is useful when you use multiple browsers especially Internet Explorer & Edge too as there are no good Ads Blocker for IE & Edge. And also useful if you use Windows Apps, to block ads on Windows Apps. And single/easy management for multiple browsers & Windows apps, etc... Plus other/added benefits.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I don't want to sound arrogant but what's the point in buying an adblocker like AdGuard when you can just have something like Ublock. I know AdGuard can block things outside of browsers but is it really worth the money?

What made me decide to go to Adguard after being a long time uBlock user:

1) Centralized database. No need for every browser I use to have a plugin download exactly the same copy of the database.
2) System wide ad blocking. Have you ever been pestered by the announcements in Skype, for instance? Tell them goodbye.
3) Android version. Seriously... use any android device with adblock on it and see how your data usage goes down. It's amazing how many programs try to download ads in the background while you're not even using them...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014

You are actually right. I never saw the change in color and i don't visit bad sites to get the red alert but i tested it now and it works.
Thanks a lot even though WOT in Adguard might not last long.

Also if it's banned from browsers and users can't use it data will become useless again. Power of WOT it's the huge amount of users.

To the WOT community | Forum | WOT (Web of Trust)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.