Guide | How To Adjusting the recovery partition

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

guardone

Thread author
Jan 15, 2013
I am used to the old MBR partition system but until now , ignorant of the new methods which apparently allow up to 128 partitions.

My new win8 64bit laptop, not a tablet, is used via the desktop as a win7 style computer. I like to place my data on D: drive but looking via disk explorer it seemed there are 2 unlabelled "parts" plus c and d drives. The d:drive is the recovery partition and quite small.

If I reduce the c drive and expand the d drive, I can add a data folder on the d drive and place my documents/work in that data folder.

1st question... If I need in future to use the recovery method from d: to reinstall windows on c: , will the hard disk revert to original partition sizes and destroy my data.

2nd Q. If I have to use a recovery dvd system to reinstall the c: drive, will that revert the partitions back to the original sizes, and destroy my data.

3rd question. Under older methods, there was a limit of 4 partitions.

Can I change the c: partition to say a further 5 partitions e f g h I , leaving the D recovery untouched, or will the computer break in the process/ refuse to create more partitions as there are already 4 (including 2 hidden)

Many thanks for reading, thinking, and if you know these things, answering.

G1

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I don't recommend messing with your recovery partition. Your best option is to either buy an external USB hard drive or another internal hard drive to store your data.

I simply hate how a lot of the newer pc's have their partitions setup but trying to change it can cause more problems then what it is worth.

Thanks.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.