Battle AdMuncher vs Adblock (fanboy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
which one is more effective in blocking ads?
which one has less impact on the system and the browser performance?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I haven't tested and compared AdMuncher against Fanboys list in Ad-Block Plus so I cannot say, What I can say is I've been using Fanboy's list for a very long time and never seen an ad that it missed.

As for system impact, None with Fanboy, because Ad-Block Plus is a browser extension therefor you would have to ask how much memory the browser uses. I would call it a positive effect as blocking ads reduces page load time and your bandwidth usage, Also makes browsing more enjoyable and usable.

Thanks. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well the difference is that AdMuncher is running in a process but it doesn't consume much. Well you need to pay some buckets in order to benefit the full version.

While Adblock is free and its only running through browser thus no processes appeared in the system.

When it comes for the effectiveness of blocking ads, likely they are both good from its filters.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I have never tried AdMuncher because I am a die hard fan of ABP, so my vote goes to ABP ;-)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
AdMuncher is a system wide adblocker which it means it blocks ads on all web applications. (messengers, browsers, email clients, etc.)

AdMuncher is a filter plugin on your connection settings which can slow down all web applications. Adblock however is only a plugin on your browser which runs very lite.

I've used AdMuncher and I did like how it make everything run slow, but it is one of the best adblockers if you want a system wide adblocker.

Of AdMuncher is a paid product, there is a freeware alternative that does the exact same job and is much lighter than AdMuncher.

You can get AdFender for free if you want a program that is a system wide adblocker.

Thanks.:D

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Littlebits said:
AdMuncher is a system wide adblocker which it means it blocks ads on all web applications. (messengers, browsers, email clients, etc.)

AdMuncher is a filter plugin on your connection settings which can slow down all web applications. Adblock however is only a plugin on your browser which runs very lite.

I've used AdMuncher and I did like how it make everything run slow, but it is one of the best adblockers if you want a system wide adblocker.

Of AdMuncher is a paid product, there is a freeware alternative that does the exact same job and is much lighter than AdMuncher.

You can get AdFender for free if you want a program that is a system wide adblocker.

thanks for sharing, never heard of Adfencer before. seems like a good competition.

V

Vextor

Adblock Plus. The reason is that it is only a browser addon, so you have a lot less processes. ADP is also more trusted and has a tonne of lists available to use, so I would use ADP.

@Littlebits AdFender seems very good, and is free compared to AdFender. Thanks for the suggestion.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
On low-end (my netbook) computer AdBlock usually slows down whereas once tried AdMuncher trial it did fast but it injects some code into page source so it's a bit bad to look at, so regarding performance I think Admuncher wins, in blocking they are kind of the same I think.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
iScream said:
On low-end (my netbook) computer AdBlock usually slows down whereas once tried AdMuncher trial it did fast but it injects some code into page source so it's a bit bad to look at, so regarding performance I think Admuncher wins, in blocking they are kind of the same I think.
k this is what ive been waiting to hear when i mentioned performance comparison.
ABP being an addon doesnt necessarily mean it consumes less cpu/ram.
actually in chromium based browsers each addon has its own process running in the ram.

thanks for sharing your exp.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
woomera said:
actually in chromium based browsers each addon has its own process running in the ram.

Correct.

AdBlock Plus (beta) -LINK- Previously AdBlock Plus for Google Chrome and before that AdThwart.

AdBlock -LINK- It uses less memory than ABP and you can use the Fanboy Lists, just click "Add Fanboy Adblock list to Firefox" and it's added to your subscription.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Actually Chrome had been showing 'waiting for extension AdBlock plus beta...' way too many times, same hangs with AdBlock whose translation I helped out one time,
same slowdowns in Firefox when loading tab pages, so I tried AdMuncher trial, it was better (but then recently I found out about MVPS hosts file and it blocks 99% of the ads so I'm fine with a bit slipping through, without ANY slowdowns. But this vote isn't about MVPS.)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
woomera said:
Littlebits said:

thanks for sharing, never heard of Adfencer before. seems like a good competition.

If I remember right adfender uses easylist as it's blocklist but works on all browsers rather than installing adblock on each one and subscribing to easylist...both are great!

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
iScream said:
Actually Chrome had been showing 'waiting for extension AdBlock plus beta...' way too many times, same hangs with AdBlock whose translation I helped out one time,
same slowdowns in Firefox when loading tab pages, so I tried AdMuncher trial, it was better (but then recently I found out about MVPS hosts file and it blocks 99% of the ads so I'm fine with a bit slipping through, without ANY slowdowns. But this vote isn't about MVPS.)

MVPS is my fav hosts, but I use hostsman and use all the lists other than hp and hp partial but without adp or admuncher I still see those ugly facebook ads.
My vote is for both

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
iScream said:
Actually Chrome had been showing 'waiting for extension AdBlock plus beta...' way too many times

That was the problem I had with ABP (Chrome), and so far I haven't had that with AdBlock. Glad I wasn't the only one with that problem.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Since I have never really AdMuncher I have to go Adblock. Also it works perfectly for me and does the job that I want it to do.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
iScream: Yup me too, I've found that often times however my browsing is same as usual. Admitted it does wait for a bit but overall the browsing does fine in response.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Am I not mistaken? But I re-call there was a method of checking how much download bandwith AdBlock has saved you, + Also show how many ads its blocked.

D

Deleted member 178

About Adfender, it leaves a blank space where the ads are supposed to be positioned and doesn't blocks pop-ups at contrary of ADP & ADP Pop-up addon, they block everything in a totally invisible manner.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
About Adfender, it leaves a blank space where the ads are supposed to be positioned and doesn't blocks pop-ups at contrary of ADP & ADP Pop-up addon, they block everything in a totally invisible manner.

ADP & ADP Pop-up addon for Mozilla Firefox is probably the best adblock comobo, however not all users prefer to use Mozilla Firefox and need other options.

I use AdFender primary for blocking ads in FeedDemon which uses IE.

AdFender completely cleans up all of the ads in my news feeds.

There are many other programs which also use IE like chat messengers, online installers and many free ad-supported programs like Incredimail.

Actually just about any program that uses online ads can be blocked with AdFender.

Since I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, I have ad filtering disabled for it in AdFender, I also disabled Google Chrome which I occasionally use, I prefer Adblock extension for it.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.