Troubleshoot Adobe Acrobat: "There was a problem reading this document ".

coxcox

Thread author
Aug 15, 2016
Greetings.
I am using Adobe Acrobat. When i try to open .pdf file which was created two month ago i recieve error message: "There was a problem reading this document ".
I tried to open it on another computer but no luck.
Please advise me something for Adobe .pdf fix.

Regards

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi @coxcox ..I have found this..I hope that it is of some help :)

SOURCE: turbofeature.com

Have a Corrupt or Unreadable PDF?
"There was a problem reading this document."

Did you just get Adobe Acrobat's error 109? Learn what that means and how to repair that here. Note that if you are seeing error 109 when opening a PDF file, chances are that the file is corrupt or at least unreadable.

How to Fix Adobe Acrobat's Error 109
First things first, try the following:

• If you downloaded the file, try downloading it again.
  • If you created the file yourself, try creating it again from the original source. That may be all you need to do to solve this problem.
On the other hand, there may be nothing wrong with the file itself, but your PDF reader may be having trouble making sense of it. Here are a few options in that case:

If you are trying to view the PDF in your browser:

• Save the file to your desktop and then try to open it with the stand-alone Acrobat Reader.
  • Sometimes the browser plugins cannot handle large or complex PDFs, or third party software has corrupted the browser plugin, rendering it useless.
You may have a newer PDF file, and an old version of the Acrobat Reader.

• Try updating your version of Acrobat Reader (or Acrobat). This can solve many issues, including security issues known to exist in earlier versions of Acrobat software. You can download the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe's website.

Upvote 0

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Aside from Logethica's very through explanation,have you tried another PDF reader?

I have come across several cases in which the sender preps the file in such way,that depending on the platform it will not open.If that's your issue I have found Sumatra PDF to be a very proficient tool in opening diverse .pdf files.

Give it a try.

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Greetings.
I am using Adobe Acrobat. When i try to open .pdf file which was created two month ago i recieve error message: "There was a problem reading this document ".
I tried to open it on another computer but no luck.
Please advise me something for Adobe .pdf fix.

Regards
Hi !

Does this error appear only with PDF files you created yourself ?
Have you installed the last version of Adobe Acrobat ?
Do you try to open it in creation mode, to modify it , or only in read mode ?
Have you tried to open it with Edge ? ("open with")

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Have you tried to install an old version of acrobat, one before they introduced their bug ?
The file was corrupted when You saved it the first time and a old version should allow to open it (one possibility)

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I suppose you have not the original file that was used to create this pdf ?
Does it was a pdf document with only text, or also with images or other objects ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Hmmmm...Have you tried opening the .pdf file on a smartphone?

I had a case a few weeks ago that the user could open it on an IPhone,but he downloaded the file to his laptop and this happened....

upload_2016-8-22_12-39-48.png

With Nitro Pro....

upload_2016-8-22_12-41-2.png

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.