Adobe Flash Player replacement "Shumway" lands in Firefox 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
3_snag-0002.jpg

Mozilla has taken one giant step closer to making Adobe's Flash Player a thing of the past with the inclusion of their own HTML5 Flash Player called "Shumway".

Shumway landed in Firefox 27 nightly, which has yet to make the Aurora branch, and according to our own tests, even though Shumway can be loaded (it's disabled by default) it's in a "pretty much unusable state" right now.

Source

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I just tried it on XP (Youtube), not all videos played and some of the ones that do stuttered a little. As it is right now, Shumway would not be a good Flash replacement for me. At least not on my XP.

Bo

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
"Keep us update on Shumway"
I will try thanks :)

"I just tried it on XP (Youtube), not all videos played and some of the ones that do stuttered a little. As it is right now, Shumway would not be a good Flash replacement for me. At least not on my XP"
Thanks for share your experience ,it is developing so i think some bugs are must come but it is safe to use compare to flash player ,i am waiting for new FF :)

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
I just installed Firefox 27 on my Windows 8 and disabled the flash player on FF. I can't play any flash content :(

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
Imran bro
Submit your problem here so it will help mozila to improve this problem if it is.
https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
MalwareVirus said:
Imran bro
Submit your problem here so it will help mozila to improve this problem if it is.
https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback

I will!
Thanks ;)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
Can't say,as i not tried nightly waiting for untill it comes to FF.

MW, you are a Sandboxie user, you don't need to wait. You can run the FF 270a1 installer in a sandbox and try it, that's what I did. If you like to keep the install for a few days, create a new sandbox and set it not to delete on closing.

http://people.mozilla.org/~jwein/ux-nightly/

Bo

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
as far as i read you need to enable Shummy and its not enabled by default.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
yes Bo sir,i downloaded nightly as you provided the link, i tried it yesterday night but really results are disappointing,nightly wants to install flash player, in plugins there are only vlc plugin no Shumway plugin,I disabled vlc plugin to test but no video :(
qtl2KCh.png

4PWeUE3.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's not going to work, (yet).

..according to our own tests, even though Shumway can be loaded (it's disabled by default) it's in a "pretty much unusable state" right now.

As pointed out, Shumway still has a ways to go before it can fully replace Adobe Flash Player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.