Ads Blockers - Malware and Phishing lists?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I tried Adblock Plus, uBlock & AdGuard Browser Extension.

ABP - Filters & Malicious/Phishing are updated once in 3-4 days, right?

uBlock - Filters & Malicious/Phishing are updated once in 3-4 days, right?

AdGuard - Filters are updated often. Malicious/Phishing is Cloud based.

So it seems AG is better compared to ABP & uB especially Malicious/Phishing protection as M/P is Cloud based & so always up-to-date. Malicious/Phishing in ABP & uB is kind of weak protection as its updated once in 3-4 days.

Your comments plzz....

Reactions: Logethica

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
AG uses a third party to determine malicious links, which is Web Of Trust, but if you don't know WOT is a community based rating system where when they find a good or bad site they rate it. This can be easily manipulated with by hackers, so if you should take the ratings with a grain of salt too.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i switch from ublock to adguard because i find adbuard extension works better in yandex(i use it) than ublock and it is build in(off by default). i have seen the malware protection at work and i must say it is quit nice! testet it with some links and most of them got blocked. its better than some webfilters from av vendors. they use web of trust,there own list and some other lists so it is realy good at blocking malware/phishing sites.

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
i switch from ublock to adguard because i find adbuard extension works better in yandex(i use it) than ublock and it is build in(off by default). i have seen the malware protection at work and i must say it is quit nice! testet it with some links and most of them got blocked. its better than some webfilters from av vendors. they use web of trust,there own list and some other lists so it is realy good at blocking malware/phishing sites.
I might have to switch back and try it again. ;)

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I've seen AG pick up stuff that UBlock misses, and vice versa. Both in tandem is kick arse and prevents bottlenecking one with many filter lists and starving the other. Just a quick note, AG Assistant is for IE 10 and higher. won't work on IE 9, so I jumped on Ad Muncher and set it to filter only IE. End of story for me.

Reactions: frogboy

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
AG uses a third party to determine malicious links, which is Web Of Trust, but if you don't know WOT is a community based rating system where when they find a good or bad site they rate it. This can be easily manipulated with by hackers, so if you should take the ratings with a grain of salt too.
They have their own database too, but it makes thousands of FPs.

Reactions: Atlas147
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.