Advice Request Advice to protect a HDD with password

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
I am looking for a good solution to protect an internal HDD with password against accesses and may be even harder to encrypt by any ransomware (don't know if is working in this scenario).
Other than Microsoft's BitLocker - which I don't know how ok it is against ransomware access ... what solution could I use?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

No drive encryption protect you against ransomware.
Against a thief every protection help. It only depends on the time and work the attacker need.

Internal drives get best protection with Bitlocker and if you want extra step: use BIOS/ uEFI drive password.

Edit: With "No" i mean: None

Last edited by a moderator:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
No drive encryption protect you against ransomware.
Against a thief every protection help. It only depends on the time and work the attacker need.

Internal drives get best protection with Bitlocker and if you want extra step: use BIOS/ uEFI drive password.
The only way to prevent files being encrypted by ransomware is to prevent it's execution.
If the system is already infected drive encryption won't stop it because ransomware will operate with user privileges so once the drive will be decrypted for read/write access data will be lost.

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Ok. Thank you for yours advice. The sistem is not mine and has 3 HDD inside, 1 ssd, 1 with useless data and 1 with photos.. alot. That with photo want to be password protected and protection against ransomware was not a requirement, just to know if encryption is have any efficiency in case of infection.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Ok. Thank you for yours advice. The sistem is not mine and has 3 HDD inside, 1 ssd, 1 with useless data and 1 with photos.. alot. That with photo want to be password protected and protection against ransomware was not a requirement, just to know if encryption is have any efficiency in case of infection.
In this case I would suggest backup instead of disk encryption.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.