Solved Adware: random ad websites popping up

SejongC

Thread author
Mar 10, 2017
Since 2 days ago, I've been infected with some sort of adware that managed to both change by default start-up page in chrome as well as random websites popping up. Several words in many websites would be highlighted green with underlines and clicking on those would pull up both a separate tab and a separate page, both of which are ad websites.
After running the virus scanners above, it changed back to my normal start-up screen on chrome and every time after I would run the scanner, chrome would act fine, but after restarting it, it would come back (only the random websites/links)
I am getting really confused and irritated on how my scanners say there is nothing there, but then after restarting my computer, it would just come back.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    32.3 KB · Views: 4
  • FRST.txt
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Rengar

SejongC

Thread author
Mar 10, 2017
ah that did the trick thanks!
however can you explain why that works when other anti-malware software didn't work?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
That's because Anti-Malware software doesn't clean the cache but malware. Sometimes there is a cached content poisoned by malware.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.