Solved Aero in Win7 Ultimate issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Hi guys, I need some help here and perhaps one of you could identify the issue properly.

Please see attached picture.

My friend running Windows 7 Ultimate suddenly had an issue with the Aero theme and it reverted to non-aero. When switching Aero back on, there is a light blue background that sometimes appear and sometimes it doesn't.

The first thing she did was run a backup of her Windows backup and recovery. Still the same. She then backed up all the files she needed and did a format + clean install.

Same issue persists.

I asked if she did all the updates and drivers updates she said yes apart from one driver that she couldn't download. When I checked Speccy on her pc, the Graphics is an onboard ATI graphics. I doubt she has the Graphics drivers updated properly.

She tried using Device Doctor to scan and update the drivers but it fails to download the Graphics driver.

Any utilities that you would recommend?

I did a troubleshooting for aero via Teamviewer and it said the graphics is not able to run Aero.

Specs of the pc attached as well.

Thanks for the help so far.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Do you see it when you connect with teamviewer?

My money is on a driver issue. Where does she download the drivers from? From dell?

Upvote 0

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
My advice is that she disable all the fancy effect due to weak cpu. I will make video how she can do it. I always download from amd's homepage the drivers; oem vendors usually update the drivers few times, for what ever reason.

OFFTOPIC

is 63C idle or max temp?

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Via Teamviewer I am unable to see the light blue colour as shown on the screenshot.

Waiting for her to confirm where is she downloading the drivers.

She did mention that there were some updates to be done. I will have a look if I see any optional updates on Windows Update.

I also suspect driver issue. Any 3rd party software recommended to download drivers?

The temp in the screenshot is not on Idle. She was running a few applications. And there is no AV installed!!! I hope she hasn't downloaded anything yet apart from windows updates.

Will keep you posted as I might need to pop out to buy some smokes.

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Via Teamviewer I am unable to see the light blue colour as shown on the screenshot.
Then it could be hardware related, in which case a new graphics card will be needed.

But lets rule out any software issues first. I don't think Dell uses modified drivers. Try downloading the latest AMD drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
And see if anything changes.

Does she run anything else on the computer when this happens?
What about safe mode, does it happen there as well?

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
It only happens when running Aero. She is away for the moment and I will need to go out to buy some smokes so I will try to go through each step and download the drivers via the link you have provided.

Applications that were running and still run on day to day are Yahoo Messenger, IE and something else.

Also noticed she doesn't have SP1 installed.

I will first update the Windows and then will continue from that. Hope her internet connection is fast...

Will keep you guys posted.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
As suspected, faulty update on the graphics card driver.
Re-rolled the driver, updated via the windows update and restarted. Problem is now solved.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.