AhnLab 3 Lite Free - April 2019 Report

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Should we even bother with a company that clearly doesn't want their products to be purchased by foreigners? AhnLab clearly has no interest in customers outside of Korea. It seems rather xenophobic to me, but I'm guessing it's not the company's fault. It's probably just due to their country's legislation or something. The reason why they made the free version of their software available internationally is a mystery to me.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Should we even bother with a company that clearly doesn't want their products to be purchased by foreigners? AhnLab clearly has no interest in customers outside of Korea. It seems rather xenophobic to me, but I'm guessing it's not the company's fault. It's probably just due to their country's legislation or something. The reason why they made the free version of their software available internationally is a mystery to me.
It's not xenophobic, some vendors just prefer to focus on the local market. They actually do have have an interest in customers outside of Korea, which is why this new version of V3 Lite works globally and they even have an English online manual for it, whereas previous versions only worked in Korea. Maybe in time they will let you purchase products globally from their website. But, they have only just released the new version of V3, so you need to give them time. For now, you can buy their products from Gmarket if you really want to.

Having another free antivirus released, shoudn't be anything to complain about.

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Detection wise it seems to be good product, is it trial or just completely free product? Cant find the installer, except the tomsguide link

Nvm: V3 Lite | AhnLab found it
If I did not have the problems with the updates I would have stuck with this product. zero ads. many features fro fre version. Very light on system. And very good tedection rate.

Hi guys, these days I will not test samples, until next Monday, since I'm not at home + old laptop + slow connection.

Sorry for the inconveniences, happy Easter holidays! :)
Happy Easter my friend. For me is the next week Easter because i am Orthodox :emoji_innocent:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Well, although I'm catholic, I do not practice the cult many years ago (I was young, better don't ask me why, would be long to explain :) )... anyway here is holidays for everybody :)

Update: About Ahnlab signature detections, in most of the test is not so amazing but usually in less than 24 hours they add quite fast new detections...

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Hi guys, I'm finishing testing AhnLab V3 Lite Free, and starting with Nano AV Free during May :)

AhnLab should improve signature detections, in general, even after testing 12 hours later the malware pack was published, the on demand ratio was poor... also BB detection should be improved, malware usually spawned files to some system risky folders (\ProgramData\ \AppData\ \Users\<user account>\) and set entries in Windows AutoRuns without any intervention of AhnLab...

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@harlan4096 I've found the there are some threats it fails to clean and maybe you've encountered this too. I've scanned a large malware collection with V3 and after scanning and quarantining the files, it reported that is was unable to clean some files and said it requires a reboot to clean some others. This is just a folder containing inactive malware samples, so there is no reason for it to not be able to quarantine any files, even without rebooting. For example, everything can be deleted from Windows Explorer. After rebooting, the same files are detected again, even the ones it said would be deleted when rebooting.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, I also got that weird behaviour and I forgot to mention, thanks... sometimes in on demands scans, some detected samples could not be repaired/deleted (even getting error) but remained being detected by resident module :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.