Ashampoo Backup Pro 12

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Al-Faqir: please kindly consider:
  • Please specify the exact version of KIS product You have installed.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free, EmsiSoft Emergency Kit.
  • As for "Web Privacy", a VPN service.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here.
Thanks for sharing Your config :)

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
@Al-Faqir: please kindly consider:
  • Please specify the exact version of KIS product You have installed.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free, EmsiSoft Emergency Kit.
  • As for "Web Privacy", a VPN service.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here.
Thanks for sharing Your config :)
Hello @harlan4096 and thank you for your suggestions. I have updated the exact build version of Kaspersky. Regarding adding a second-opinion scanner is not needed in my opinion as I, you can see, know what I'm doing online and I'm very careful. Anyway I will consider download EEK. I will also consider using a vpn and I do need your suggestions regarding that matter. Thank you again.

Reactions: harlan4096

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I'm not a fan of third-party backup software to begin with, but if I were to use one, I'd use Macrium Reflect over Ashampoo. Looks good, otherwise.
Hello! Thanks for your suggestion! Honestly, I am currently happy with Ashampoo and never had any issues using it. I see that MT recommends MR. Does MR offer anything worth of trying that Ashampoo does not? Looking forward to your reply.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Only Kaspersky? Not a good idea.

Add ZAM Free and NPE.

Thanks for sharing.
Do you mind clarifying why this isn't a good idea? Kaspersky Internet Security is great live protection, and a more secure solution than Windows Defender.
Adding one or, better, two on-demand scanners make a config more safe and protected.
I understand, but you're comparing apples and oranges. You can't call the live protection a bad idea because it's missing on-demand scanners. They are two separate types of security.

Thank you all for your replies. Though I don't like the way the debate started but I would like to say that I trust Kaspersky and I know how to use it. Recently I have tried to run Kaspersky on, let me say, manual mode; making Kaspersky ask me everything and not do a thing I did not allow by itself. I will keep trying. Anyway, Kaspersky is a decent secuirty solution and I belive everyone in this forum agrees with me. If you know what you're doing you will most likely stay protected. Thanks again for your suggestions.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
@Al-Faqir Real-time Web & Malware Protection: you may add voodooshield along with kaspersky internet security. It's gonna be wrock solid.

Virus and Malware Removal Tools: you may keep good 2nd opinion scanner at your disposal such as hitman pro,emsisoft EK,eset online scanner etc. If you prefer multi av scanner then go for opswat metadefender client(30 anti-malware engine) or Herdprotect(60 anti-malware engine). Kaspersky is great against malware,ransomware,trojan etc. but it loses its shine against PUP,PUM,PUA. Although it has leveled its game up against such nuisances but still some of them may sneak intp so it's always better to be prepared.

Browsers and Extensions: you may add ublock with unified host(evjl will provide much more host if you need),privacy badger, decentraleyes,cookie autodelete.

System Utilities collection: you should use SysHardener,good junk cleaner,system explorer/autorun or anything as such. you may add veracrypt(optional).

You haven't specified your default browser. btw, is ashampoo backupper good? I'm just curious as I haven't used it myself nor I know anyone who uses it.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
1st part (adding an opinion of some suggestions I disagree with:

@Al-Faqir Real-time Web & Malware Protection: you may add voodooshield along with kaspersky internet security. It's gonna be wrock solid.

Virus and Malware Removal Tools: you may keep good 2nd opinion scanner at your disposal such as hitman pro,emsisoft EK,eset online scanner etc. If you prefer multi av scanner then go for opswat metadefender client(30 anti-malware engine) or Herdprotect(60 anti-malware engine). Kaspersky is great against malware,ransomware,trojan etc. but it loses its shine against PUP,PUM,PUA. Although it has leveled its game up against such nuisances but still some of them may sneak intp so it's always better to be prepared.

Browsers and Extensions: you may add ublock with unified host(evjl will provide much more host if you need),privacy badger, decentraleyes,cookie autodelete.

System Utilities collection: you should use SysHardener,good junk cleaner,system explorer/autorun or anything as such. you may add veracrypt(optional).

You haven't specified your default browser. btw, is ashampoo backupper good? I'm just curious as I haven't used it myself nor I know anyone who uses it.

I believe Privacy Badger to be vastly inferior to Privacy Possum.
MultiAV-Scanner which are not HitmanPro only serve to hinder privacy by selling on your data to third parties, HerdProtect does this a lot, to provide a free service, plus I believe this software to now be discontinued. The rest I can agree with.

Now onto I would personally suggest:

IMPORTANT: Set UAC to always notify!!!

On-demand scanners:
- ZAM Free
- Zemana Portable Free

Security/Privacy:
- Syshardener (Harden OS security)
- Sandboxie (for enhanced privacy & protection for web browsers)
- Windscribe Free VPN (self-explanatory)
- Unchecky (for PUP protection)

System Utilities:
- Wise Disk Cleaner or Bleachbit
- Defraggler (do not Defrag an SSD please xD)
- 7Zip

Backup Software:
- Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper

Web Browser Extensions (Chrome):
- Cookie AutoDelete
- Privacy Possum
- Scriptsafe
- Malwarebyte Browser Extension
- Decentraleyes
- Netcraft

Thanks for sharing,

~LDogg

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018

Thanks for your suggestions! First, are not there any compatibility issues between Kaspersky and Voodooshiled? Regarding the second-opinion scanner I think I would stick to EEK. Adguard does the job for me and I am not planning to use many extensions as I am on very limited RAM 4 GB now. The PC is mainly for my work and I don't want any lags nor slowdowns. I used Cryptomator for sensetive data privacy. Finally, Ashampoo Backup Pro 11 is powerful and I use it to upload the backup to OneDrive. Ashampoo products are good but the way the company advertises their products is very annoying. They keep showing ads even if you are using a paid product.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I believe Privacy Badger to be vastly inferior to Privacy Possum.

In case of privacy possum, it doesn't give you much choice to fiddle with it. Except etag & refferer clearance I don't see the need of privacy possum over privacy badger.The moment possum will provide the option to customize individual tracker I will start refer to other as in many websites possum just doesn't react.

MultiAV-Scanner which are not HitmanPro only serve to hinder privacy by selling on your data to third parties, HerdProtect does this a lot, to provide a free service, plus I believe this software to now be discontinued.

I can't assure you for any app including the paid one, which doesn't sell your data. Just because you are paying don't think they won't sell you. btw, which browser do you pay to use? My point was when he/she would feel the need for multi-av engine she/he could use one of those.
Defraggler (

I once used defraggler to defrag harddisk/drive which was 230 gb in size with 190 gb free. Defraggler took 7 hours to complete 48%,then just freezed. Has it changed?

Last edited:

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
[QUOTE="I once used defraggler to defrag harddisk which was 230 gb in size with 190 gb free. Defraggler took 7 hours to complete 48%,then just freezed. Has it changed?[/QUOTE]

I used both Auslogics DiskDefrag Pro and O&O. Neither one of them caused me any issues. I would go for Auslogics DiskDefrag pro because it is the fastest of the two. BTW the defragmentation tool included in Ashampoo WinOptimizer is the same of O&O as it seems Ashampoo licensed the technology.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
are not there any compatibility issues between Kaspersky and Voodooshiled?
Nope... I'm using it in my main system & btw I'm using the stable version. Just use custom rule for VS as its AI is pretty naive.

Regarding the second-opinion scanner I think I would stick to EEK

yea,nice choice for offline scanner but bear in mind that it takes a lot time to update itself:mad:. For cloud scanner you may choose hitman pro as it uses bitdefender+kasperky+its own engine. & hitman pro scans pretty faster:sneaky:.

Adguard does the job for me and I am not planning to use many extensions as I am on very limited RAM 4 GB now.

Ublock origin is lighter than feather even with multiple filters. If you don't do multi-tab browsing,you'll be all ok. Anyway, if you don't want any other adblocker:cry: then at least use auto cookiedelete:emoji_pray:.

OneDrive. Ashampoo products are good but the way the company advertises their products is very annoying. They keep showing ads even if you are using a paid product.

That's awkward, probably they want you to buy their other products also. I do use their burning studio(giveaway):cool: & that's great product to be honest. Anyhow, if you are happy ashampoo backupper then stick with it(y) otherwise there are some alternatives.

Reactions: oldschool

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I used both Auslogics DiskDefrag Pro and O&O.

I do use auslogics disk defrag pro but I don't like its gasender which I do block. & don't let any net connection to it whatsoever. Auslogics disk defrag pro used to be flagged my malwarebytes don't know whether it still gets flagged or not.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Nope... I'm using it in my main system & btw I'm using the stable version. Just use custom rule for VS as its AI is pretty naive.

yea,nice choice for offline scanner but bear in mind that it takes a lot time to update itself:mad:. For cloud scanner you may choose hitman pro as it uses bitdefender+kasperky+its own engine. & hitman pro scans pretty faster:sneaky:.

Ublock origin is lighter than feather even with multiple filters. If you don't do multi-tab browsing,you'll be all ok. Anyway, if you don't want any other adblocker:cry: then at least use auto cookiedelete:emoji_pray:.

That's awkward, probably they want you to buy their other products also. I do use their burning studio(giveaway):cool: & that's great product to be honest. Anyhow, if you are happy ashampoo backupper then stick with it(y) otherwise there are some alternatives.

I am using Sophos Home Premium on my main laptop and I can say that I love it especially the web filter, so Hitman Pro, from the same company, is a welcome choice for me. EEK takes too long to update because it is simply free; they try to force you into their paid stuff which I would never use. Does ublock origin use too many ressources in the case of multi-tab browsing?
Ashampoo is good but I have begun to lose faith in the company because of the advertising system. I am downloading Macrium Reflect to give it a try.

Reactions: oldschool

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I do use auslogics disk defrag pro but I don't like its gasender which I do block. & don't let any net connection to it whatsoever. Auslogics disk defrag pro used to be flagged my malwarebytes don't know whether it still gets flagged or not.
Eset, on mother's laptop, detects all Auslogics products as Adware. I have contacted Auslogics and they confirmed that it is a FB and they will contact Eset to fix this issue. I am 100% sure that Auslogics installations contain Adware. They create quality products especially The DiskDefrag. Their BoostSpeed was very good but not anymore as it is no longer needed on Windows 10 as it causes serious issues like BSOD.

Reactions: yitworths

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
As I mentioned earlier this PC is mainly to Translation and I do need it be as fast as possible, very responsive and issues-free. Using to many security products and extensions will inevitably cause me issues and waste my time configuring stuff I dont basically need. In the coming few days I will be posting my main laptop's configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

Good point. As I mentioned earlier this PC is mainly to Translation and I do need it be as fast as possible, very responsive and issues-free. Using to many security products and extensions will inevitably cause me issues and waste my time configuring stuff I dont basically need. In the coming few days I will be posting my main laptop's configuration.
Good security starts with knowledge. Safer habits.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.