Troubleshoot All usb ports not working

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
My mouse and keyboard are both not working and I'm almost positive it is because of corrupt drivers. I saw explanation marks next to the usb drivers, but I decided to restart my computer first and now I can't use the mouse or keyboard. I tried other usb ports and other keyboards but none of them would work. I have files that I don't want to lose on the computer and I planned on getting the computer to open Teamviewer by itself so that I can control the computer using another computer. I don't know if this will work and it is not working out so far. I'm not exactly sure of how to create a autorun dvd so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to create one. Any help will be appreciated.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Have you tried to boot it into safe mode?
Use the following steps to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode when the computer is off:
  1. Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly.
  2. From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and press ENTER.
Then.....

• Update Hardware Drivers: Assuming your hardware drivers are causing system instability, you may want to download and install updated drivers from your manufacturer’s website and install them in Safe Mode. If your computer is unstable, you’ll have to do this from Safe Mode — the hardware drivers won’t interfere and make your computer unstable in Safe Mode.

Upvote 0

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
Have you tried to boot it into safe mode?
Use the following steps to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode when the computer is off:

• Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly.
    • From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and press ENTER.
Then.....
  • Update Hardware Drivers: Assuming your hardware drivers are causing system instability, you may want to download and install updated drivers from your manufacturer’s website and install them in Safe Mode. If your computer is unstable, you’ll have to do this from Safe Mode — the hardware drivers won’t interfere and make your computer unstable in Safe Mode.
I already tried booting in safe mode and had the same issue. The keyboard works before when the computer just turned on and I am able to enter safe mode, but it stops working once it starts loading windows. I see the num lock light turn off once windows start to load.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I found a forum comment online where a guy said..
"Keyboard does not work in safe mode."..
Shortly after this he made another post saying...
"After poking around in safe mode, I discovered a setting in control panel under ease of access.
"Turn on filter keys " was checked.
Unchecked it and all is good."

That may be worth a try if you can access it.

Upvote 0

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
I found a forum comment online where a guy said..
"Keyboard does not work in safe mode."..
Shortly after this he made another post saying...
"After poking around in safe mode, I discovered a setting in control panel under ease of access.
"Turn on filter keys " was checked.
Unchecked it and all is good."

That may be worth a try if you can access it.
Both my keyboard and mouse are not working in so I can't click anything.

Upvote 0

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Then you may need to repair install windows 7:

Repair Install Windows 7
If you don’t have a restore point, then the last resort option is to perform a repair install. This will replace the mouse and keyboard drivers with the original ones and you should be working again. A repair install will simply re-install the Windows OS, but will not delete your data.

The process is fairly long and it will take some time, but it’s better than having to re-install Windows altogether. SevenForums has an awesome tutorial that walks you through the whole process and explains all the caveats, etc

Upvote 0

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
@TheBlue262 ,if you want to extract your data then these options come to my mind
(1) install the hard disk to another system and backup all the data
(2) download linux and burn it to dvd,now insert the dvd to dvd drive and reboot the system,change the boot order if required.The beauty of linux is that it is not like windows where you have to install it in order to use it.so no need to install it ,just boot the system with dvd and back up your data,here you can also check if usb problem is hardware related or software related
(3) download the hiren boot cd ,and boot the system with it

Upvote 0

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
I managed to get TeamViewer up and I can now control the computer remotely. I tried fixing the drivers but all my attempts did not work. I tried uninstalling them and restarting but they had the same issue still with a exclamation mark.

I tried running sfc /scannow but it stopped at 43%. It said it found corrupt files but couldn't fix it.

Attachments

• ex.PNG
    ex.PNG
    126.7 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.