Alternative for Kaspersky.

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Hello! I have had Kaspersky for a really long time but now it start to freeze my computer, making it not usable, crashing, etc... so im looking for an alternative.. looking at some tests, Avast seems really good, so my question is shall i go for avast or something else? :) Thanks.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Hello! I have had Kaspersky for a really long time but now it start to freeze my computer, making it not usable, crashing, etc... so im looking for an alternative.. looking at some tests, Avast seems really good, so my question is shall i go for avast or something else? :) Thanks.
Something else, Avast became an ads and data mining platform lol. Now if this isn't much important for you, go for it. However if you really need an AV (other than Windows Defender), try Emsisoft for a while. Excellent BB, good AV engines, Great support and privacy-friendly.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
That behaviour is not normal, so probably Your system is not in good health (or some incompatibility with additional security apps installed?) :unsure:

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Select the Norton.
Norton Security is a comprehensive antivirus program built on Symantec's robust security solutions.
The new product includes a suite of reliable technologies for world-class antivirus software - Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, and replaces them in a single security solution.
Norton Security uses five levels of computer security, sensitive data, and online activity, including network protection technologies such as firewall, intrusion prevention system (IPS), file protection technologies (traditional antivirus capabilities), reputation-based protection technologies (Insight), and technology based on analysis Behavioral (SONAR).
Many protection technologies have been expanded and / or completely rebuilt from the outset. Consider major improvements already available in the new version.
Key Features of Norton Security
One service to protect all your Windows, Mac OS X, Android and iOS mobile platforms.
Provides protection against viruses, spyware, malware and other Internet attacks.
Provides privacy protection no matter which device you use.
Block unsafe sites and block suspicious downloads.
Allows you to transfer protection from one device to another.
Allows you to add more protection if you have more devices.
You can easily find lost or stolen smartphones and tablets.
Automatically back up your valuable photos, movies, and files from your computer to 25GB of secure storage.
Provides sufficient flexibility to protect the digital life of your entire family.
New on Norton Security. New features
New interface and experience
The most obvious change is the new UI. Because of a clean and modern look, Norton Security sets the tone for the security solution that will be used in different versions of Windows.
Next Generation Antivirus Engine
The new antivirus engine provides real-time malware detection, essentially changing traditional file protection methods.
Key features of the new engine include:
All of Symantec's smart capabilities - over 4,300 billion interactions - are now being used by Norton Security in real time. Each time you access a file, Norton evaluates it using thousands of criteria to determine potential risks.
Based on Norton Cloud technology, local disk signatures are 80% smaller. This is the fastest and lightest in Norton.
Historically, new virus detection occurs when new antivirus databases are updated on the client machine. This process may take from several minutes to several hours. With the new Norton Security engine, information about the latest threats is immediately available through Norton cloud infrastructure. This dramatically improves the speed of protecting users from the latest threats.
Smart protection
Smart protection during system operation
Detect aggressive exploratory threats using the new Norton Power Eraser tool
Automatically turn on aggressive scanning to detect robots
Intelligent data leakage protection technology
Improved sharing of malicious location information with the Norton Community Watch user community
Protect your web browser with less dependency on plug-ins
Redesign attack protection using social engineering
The new generation of sonar technology
Increase productivity
Performance is optimized for the latest Windows 10 updates
Save battery power
Less impact on web browser speed
Best performance in real time

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If the system has become unstable and there was no problem before and you didn't install anything new there is a good chance it will remain unstable whatever security solution you choose. Try some basic Windows repair before you waste money.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I believe you should first try to settle: why is Kaspersky crashing/freezing your system? This is NOT a normal behaviour for any antivirus, not for Kaspersky of course. In my system, not only it doesn't trouble me, but it is also very light and unnoticeable.

So, first of all, my recommendation would be: make sure your system is running smoothly. Perform some disk checkups, make use of the DISM and SFC SCAN tools, and if everything fails, I'd recommend a clean Windows install, since random errors with security software is usually either a corrupted install, a corrupted SO, or incompatibilities with other software (make sure you're not trying to run Kaspersky along something else).

If your computer still refuses to take Kaspersky, first call the pope, and then try ESET Internet Security.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I am currently trialing eset internet sceurity and I am impressed with its lightness , scan speed and its non intrussive behavour. did try kaspery internet security before that and it was more noticeable on my sytem and heavier than eset. I would go for eset if I where you , but like others before stated it can be from a hd that is giving you errors , so you can check if this is the case with a program called HD TUNE ( which also has a free version ) , it checks for bad / unreadable sectors on your drive , you can download it from here :

good luck !

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks for all the posts guys, i truly appricaite it! And i also think it's so weird that this happend, but it went all away when i deleted kaspersky, and my computer runs smoothly now. I'll make sure to check out the alternatives, thanks for all the input! :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.