Battle Alternative to Malwarebytes Premium?

movibeast

Thread author
Apr 30, 2018
Hi,
Can someone tell me which is the alternative to Malwarebytes Premium version?
I am looking for FREE Ransomware or Antivirus with REAL TIME Protection.

Please help me if you know any..

Thank you

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Hi,
Can someone tell me which one is alternative to Malwarebytes Paid version?
I am looking for FREE Ransomeware or Anti-virus with REAL TIME PRotection.

Thank you
i can't think of any free antivirus that offer ransomware protection, but you can grab one of the free AVs of your choice and add bitdefender anti-ransomware. it apparently immunizes your computer to protect it. if you use windows defender, it has a protected folder that you can turn on that will protect important files in the event you are ransomware infected. if you don't mind paying, winpatrol has a anti-ransomware product with a free life time license.

hm, you know what, comodo's is free and sandboxes unknown applications. that would likely give you anti-ransomware protection in a free AV product.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The only solid alternatives to Malwarebytes premium are its competitors: Emsisoft, ESET NOD, etc.

Two free versions of anti-ransomware off the top of my head:

There are restrictions on scope of file/folder protections and rollback remediations that are lifted when you purchase the upgraded versions. Personally, I don't use stuff like this, preferring other methods to secure my device--like moving data offline to an enclosed hard drive. WinPatrol reportedly isn't actively developed as per this thread and others.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Avast Free with Hardened mode would be your best bet. Ransomwares are by nature very effective and dangerous, and if you want optimal protection, find some good paid products, such as Norton, kaspersky, Emsisoft etc. There are a lot of good free products out there.But Free is what it is...very limited.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
If you're looking for Free realtime anti-ransomware software check the following:

As I answered you question above, you'll find most AVs/AV Suites will have protection against various forms of ransomware. I'd stick to MBAM Premium if you like this product. You can then use Syshardener & OSArmor for further lock down your OS and protect against exploits.

~LDogg

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Hi,
Can someone tell me which is the alternative to Malwarebytes Premium version?
I am looking for FREE Ransomware or Antivirus with REAL TIME Protection.

Thank you

When you compare it with Malwarebytes Premium, I would assume that you are looking for a capability that is complementary to your AV.

You need to clarify your question a little bit.

The responses in this thread may or may not be relevant.

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I am currently using SecureAPlus Premium on a Windows 10 laptop. There are reports of its effectiveness against ransomware due to its Application Control & Whitelisting. But maybe some of the other members with more knowledge on SAP can comment on how good the Freemium (free) version is. Although you may be able to find a free 2 year Premium license should you decide to try it. I don't have Windows Defender running or a 3rd party AV.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Most AVs should be capable of stopping certain ransomware, you also want to make sure you do not go overkill or paranoid in order to stop ransomware eg; installing a massive about of realtime protection when it may not be needed.

Also make sure you do backups regularly to ensure you can recover from a ransomware attack if one happens. The first line of defense for most users is the user themselves, sensible browsing habits, bookmarking of official banking pages and smart browsing habits should ensure you do not come across any sort of malware. Remember to download software directly from official sources and not from places like Softonic & cnet's Download, these are bundled with Adware & PUP.

~LDogg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I actually agree with several of posters on this. A good free AV + OS hardening or anti-exploit. All sorts of combinations!

Edit: The easiest is to use WD + ConfigureDefender + hardening = you're done. There are ways to implement Controlled Folder Access to cover more of your system. And it's fairly user-friendly depending on what other programs you have on your system. (y)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
There's always Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Beta. Not ransomware, but always free. Their betas are very stable! Or, VoodooShield. (ha-ha!).:)

Good point.... which reminds me...

In addition to the Anti-exploit Beta, There is a Malwarebytes Anti-ransomware Beta also.

From the MBAM forums ---

Hello, all—
Im reaching out today to let you know that we have been working on a new version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware - Beta 09 (v 0.9.18.807).
VERY IMPORTANT!!:
[1] Malwarebytes 3 and MBARW - It is actually not possible to run the free version of Malwarebytes 3 and the standalone Anti-Ransomware Beta side-by-side, as they have components in common and are not designed to run in this way. If you wish to have both Malwarebytes on-demand scanning and Anti-Ransomware then a Premium license is the best option.
(2) Using an older version? - Please note that if you did NOT receive an upgrade prompt from within an earlier beta version, you must first uninstall any earlier BETA versions prior to installing BETA 8. We have now enabled automatic upgrades for Beta 9, but they will take a while to get out to the entire population. If in doubt, you're always safe to do a full uninstall / reinstall.
Download Latest Beta 9 (v.0.9.18.807) from this link.
Change Log for Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta 0.9.18.807 - Component Package Update 1.1.196
Performance/protective capability
  • Improved memory and CPU usage.
  • Numerous enhanced ransomware protection techniques and remediation capabilities.
Stability/issues fixed
  • Fixed BSOD's involving farflt.sys.
  • Addressed other miscellaneous defects.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
@Burrito - good catch! (y)I had seen something about this on Wilders but finding stuff there can be a pain. Nowhere near as organized as MT overall!

I have tried the anti-exploit just to try it, and it ran well on my machine, but I decided I just didn't need it. I prefer to keep things simple.
Might be two completely different thought out applications, I do prefer OSArmor over most Anti-Exploit programs including MBAM's own. Plus OSA has whitelisting to prevent false positives from occurring.

~LDogg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You should just study the basics of what ransomware actually does on one's machine and work from there. For example, you will want to deny elevation of unsigned .exe and will want to block vssadmin.exe as it is abused by the ransomware to delete any shadow copies. These rules are available in OSArmor, and I believe most if not all are enabled by default. I harden Windows/Windows Defender/Windows firewall with a few group policy edits, sandbox my browser, avoid system restore like the plague by migrating stuff offline/use imaging software. and run OSA with custom rules. Seamless, extremely low maintenance, no need for other niche software.

Reactions: Weebarra and brod56

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
You should just study the basics of what ransomware actually does on one's machine and work from there. For example, you will want to deny elevation of unsigned .exe and will want to block vssadmin.exe as it is abused by the ransomware to delete any shadow copies. These rules are available in OSArmor, and I believe most if not all are enabled by default. I harden Windows/Windows Defender/Windows firewall with a few group policy edits, sandbox my browser, avoid system restore like the plague by migrating stuff offline/use imaging software. and run OSA with custom rules. Seamless, extremely low maintenance, no need for other niche software.
Even the the user themselves can mitigate getting any ransomware on the system via smart browsing habits, such as avoiding pirated software, unofficial download sites and no willy-nilly clicking on anything. No security, robust or not can be 100% infection free.

~LDogg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Even the the user themselves can mitigate getting any ransomware on the system via smart browsing habits, such as avoiding pirated software, unofficial download sites and no willy-nilly clicking on anything. No security, robust or not can be 100% infection free.

Well yeah, but this often goes without saying but bears repeating now and then. Anyone can make a mistake, though, even the most savvy. Anyone can mis-click--that's what your security software is there for: to catch you if you fall. No, nothing is 100% because the user ain't 100%. My point was to make the most of it with the least amount of stuff installed on your system.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Well yeah, but this often goes without saying but bears repeating now and then. Anyone can make a mistake, though, even the most savvy. Anyone can mis-click--that's what your security software is there for: to catch you if you fall. No, nothing is 100% because the user ain't 100%. My point was to make the most of it with the least amount of stuff installed on your system.
I understood what your point was bud. My point was that the user in a hypothetical sense would be the first layer of reality protection, before installing software on the system. If a user is fairly vigilant, they can mitigate most things, even bookmarks can help in some cases.

I agree the software is there to catch anything you mistakenly click on. Most people's software in theory should be based on what they do daily to stop certain malware and to reduce the attack surface. Which is why personal advice to someone else could just one sided as it's your own experience, where as this could be an advantage if you have knowledge of specific software and it's settings and other aspects.

~LDogg

Reactions: Weebarra

movibeast

Thread author
Apr 30, 2018
Thank you @EVERYONE! Really appreciate the help

I am going to one after one ;)
Yesterday I had tried Zonealarm and my pc just stopped working after that I have uninstalled the program and restart BUT it windows never started again.
Really sad about that, It just locked in the startup loop because of Zonealarm.
So I was little bit worries but now as you guys have experince I am sure I will not get such issues.

Thank you once again

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.