AMD Releases Spectre v2 Microcode Updates for CPUs Going Back to 2011

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
AMD has released CPU microcode updates for processors affected by the Spectre variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715) vulnerability. The company has forwarded these microcode updates to PC and motherboard makers to include them in BIOS updates.
Updates are available for products released as far as 2011, for the first processors of the Bulldozer line.

Microcode updates come with additional Windows Update
Microsoft has released KB4093112, an update that also includes special OS-level patches for AMD users in regards to the Spectre v2 vulnerability. Similar OS-level updates have been released for Linux users earlier this year.
Yesterday's microcode patches announcement is AMD keeping a promise it made to users in January, after the discovery of the Meltdown and Spectre (v1 and v2) vulnerabilities.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

In related news, SNORT has released meldown/spectre blocking IPS signatures. Fortinet was the first to release them.

Israel's backdoor is being closed off, for good. Now close scrutiny will happen after every processor release going forward. So the greatest intelligence asset in the world is vaporizing by the day.

Add to that Kaspersky's discovery of SLINGSHOT and the subsequent filling of that backdoor made hundreds of thousands of intelligence gathering asset devices go dark. Another reason for the US Govt. and Israel to hate Kaspersky.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
In related news, SNORT has released meldown/spectre blocking IPS signatures. Fortinet was the first to release them.

Israel's backdoor is being closed off, for good. Now close scrutiny will happen after every processor release going forward. So the greatest intelligence asset in the world is vaporizing by the day.

Add to that Kaspersky's discovery of SLINGSHOT and the subsequent filling of that backdoor made hundreds of thousands of intelligence gathering asset devices go dark. Another reason for the US Govt. and Israel to hate Kaspersky.
Thanks for the info I bet Israel , the US and UK government are pulling their hair out lol. OP - thank you for the post.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I don't see them exposing Russian operations which is why I don't think it is a coincidence. What do you think?

I haven't seen any evidence of them exposing Russian Ops, as you note. I do recall one incident where Dr. Web exposed a Russian Crime ring, and their offices were hit with a molotov cocktail. But otherwise, silence.

However sources tell me that in countries with limited intelligence and defense budgets their scope of operations is vastly more constrained and targets are more selectively chosen. Whereas with the US Intelligence they have enough infrastructure and virtually unlimited budgets and alternate revenue streams to conduct surveillance at unprecedented levels. Russia simply cannot conduct anything nearly so vast and hence, has to be much more focused. So what delegates that focus? Source tell me it's generally not necessarily what you say, but what you do. Russia looks for actionable intelligence based on activated and acute activity. Let's say you say "Putin stinks!", Russian Intel doesn't care. But what if you say that AND start conducting operations against Putin? Well, Russian intelligence suddenly cares.

SO maybe the fact Kaspersky hasn't exposed many Russian operations is simply because there aren't any major, broad, sweeping operations and worldwide distribution of malware like the US and Israel are involved in? Also, a lot of Russian operations are conducted by individuals or smaller, decentralized groups of individuals 'Clubs' if you will. This absolves the Russian Govt. from being implicated themselves, but also reduces the amount of ops they can conduct.

We don't see things like Kaspersky merging fusion centers with Russian Intelligence. That's reserved for US or US Allied AV's like Trend Micro merging operations with the CIA. Can you imagine if Kaspersky had a press release saying "We're merging our labs with the FSB's best and brightest Cyber Warriors to better protect you!". The US would be up and arms, declaring Kaspersky an enemy of the state and BANNING the sale of it here - even on the consumer level. But it's OK if Trend Micro, McAfee, Lookout Security, Invencea, Cylance and others do it?

Just my 2c on that.. Calling out gross double standards...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Anyway, all of this anti-Kaspersky storm in a teacup stuff will serve the exact opposite purpose. Let me tell you, I am VERY close to buying a stack of Kaspersky licenses 'just because'. I like being a contrarian and proving US/Israeli shills don't influence me.

I've had more IT friends tell me they are buying KAV than ever before, so I am not alone. The more companies like eScan, McCrappy and Vipre try to use this to their advantage the more I am inclined to do the exact opposite. That's the rebel inside me I guess.. Ivan, you listening? Let's talk.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.