Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
By Paul Alcorn published 2 days ago
Zen 4X3D vs Raptor Lake.

The AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Intel Core i9-13900K vs Intel Core i7-13700K showdown is a matchup of one upper mid-range processor against two nimble and competent competitors for the title of the best CPU for gaming.

The $448 Ryzen 7 7800X3D is now the fastest gaming CPU in the world. The 7800X3D recently debuted to critical acclaim, arriving with eight cores and 16 threads and AMD's Second-Gen 3D V-Cache that deliver ever-so-slightly more gaming performance than the flagship $699 Ryzen 9 7950X3D. The 3D V-Cache tech fuses a 3D-stacked cache chiplet atop the processor to deliver market-leading gaming performance at the expense of performance in productivity applications, but while it delivers explosive uplift in some games, not all titles benefit.

In contrast, the $570 Core i9-13900K wields 24 cores and 32 threads with Intel's 13th-Gen Raptor Lake x86 hybrid architecture. The Intel Core i9-13900K is Intel's fastest gaming processor, and while it isn't quite as fast as AMD's X3D chips in gaming, it serves up a more predictable blend of performance in both gaming and productivity apps.

The 7800X3D also holds the advantage in all power consumption metrics, including peak power and efficiency, ranking among the best we’ve ever tested. That results in more forgiving cooling requirements and a cooler and quieter system. On the other end of the spectrum, overclocking is becoming increasingly less interesting on the high end for most enthusiasts — you'll get a better payoff in the mid-range and low-end of the market. The Intel and AMD processors all provide at least some uplift after overclocking, making that contest a wash.

Given AMD's history of lower-than-MSRP pricing several months after launch, we think the Ryzen 7 7800X3D will eventually become another great chip for value seekers, particularly as platform-level costs continue to recede. If you're after an all-rounder, the Core i7-13700K is the better choice.
If you're after the fastest gaming chip on the market, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D offers a lower-cost pathway to the very best that AMD's 3D V-Cache has to offer than you'll pay with the Ryzen 9 X3D chips.
If you're willing to accept the tradeoffs, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is the fastest gaming chip money can buy, earning a leading spot on our list of the best CPUs for gaming.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.