AMD Threadripper processors will come with liquid coolers according to sources

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
AMD recently announced that its latest high-end processor dubbed Threadripper would go on sale in August; however, according to new sources, the high-end chip will ship with liquid cooling right in the box, unlike the usual air coolers, or in the case of Intel's high-end line, no cooler at all.

AMD describes the Threadripper as:

Purchasing a Ryzen Threadripper processor or system clearly demonstrates advanced computing needs and knowledge of how to use computing powerhouses – multi-thread scaling isn’t a buying concern, multi-thread performance is key. Ryzen Threadripper ascends beyond model numbers and becomes a purchase that defines itself as being most suited for the biggest compute workloads – and that it will rip threads to shreds.

Announced in May, Threadripper will come in two variants: the 1920X 12-core edition, which will retail for $799, and the 1950X 16-core chip, which will set you back $999. These chips will compete directly with the Intel Core i9 series. According to AMD, the 12-core version beats out the Core i9 in performance by a significant margin, scoring 2400 points in Cinebench against the 2100 its competitor managed. The 1950X scored a massive 3000 points.

Although these benchmarks are a bit biased in favor of AMD as they aren't performed by a third party, real-world tests will reveal who takes the performance crown next month. But with the huge price differential between Intel and AMD, it's clear who will take the price to performance crown.

Liquid cooling is the high-end cooling system that replaces the fan driven solutions found with many of today's CPU's. With Threadripper being able to utilize all 16 cores and 32 threads, it would be preferable since a regular cooler wouldn't suffice under heavy load. Even if they do not come with one in the box, it is highly recommended to get this once you decide to upgrade, or at least a very high-performance cooler.

Source: Segment Next

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
What a terrible idea. If i need a liquid cooler i want to buy the one i want not the one amd will decide is good enough.

Reactions: srcstable

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
i mean it's 2 1800x chips next to each other that are barely being cooled by the highest tier AMD air cooler, no wonder they put liquid cooling on it.
idk why people are so afraid of closed loops, especially if it comes with the cooler, guys, if it leaks, warranty covers it.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
i mean it's 2 1800x chips next to each other that are barely being cooled by the highest tier AMD air cooler, no wonder they put liquid cooling on it.
idk why people are so afraid of closed loops, especially if it comes with the cooler, guys, if it leaks, warranty covers it.
It doesn't cover your other parts that will be damaged by the leak but that is not the reason most don't want the liquid coolers with the cpu.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.