Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hello guys!
Question for AMD users: which drivers do you use and why?
I use Catalyst and just tried latest version of Crimson. They look good and I even think that I have lower temperatures with them but I had to uninstall it because I had some problems. On any webpage that has white picture or white font, I would see little dots or pixels while scrolling (I don't know how to call that :)). Tried to change settings but nothing seems to be helping so I installed Catalyst again just because they don't have that problem and looks like they work best for me.

Anyway, I'll install them again for a few months to see if they fixed problem. :)

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
I usually use latest crimson (stable).
When windows 10 was just released, I used the crimson beta for a while - which was newer and "hotfixed" for the new system. But usually, stable or beta are fine :)
On some legacy cards, probably the catalyst are better or you could try the crimson beta.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I have an Acer laptop(AMD), but I do not know what you mean, i just ran Speccy and i can not find any of the two names mentioned. And to tell you the truth I don't know what they stand for?o_Ocan somebody educate me.:)sorry:Catalyst is my answer:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marko :)

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
I have an R9 270X, and I've installed the Crimson. But the version history had never been clear in my head.

I don't pay much attention to it. By the past, I had notifications, I upgrade them... Sometimes I did not have notifications, so, I've downloaded and upgrade manually...

But recently, after the last reboot after updating to Creators Update, some AMD things where installed/updated.

I saw it because of Comodo FW that contained them...
The things were here: C:\AMD\WU-CCC2\ccc2_install

It seems to be the CCC (catalyst control center ?)

So I looked at the Radeon settings: I have Driver Packaging Version=16.40.2311.1002-161121a-309377E... on the website there is 17.4.3 or 17.4.4...

And I don't have notifications about new pilots.

I think I will stay like that, or maybe upgrade manually if I have time.

Reactions: Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
This problem I have with Crimson drivers apparently exist with Catalyst drivers as well but only when I launch them.

I had disabled drivers in startup and when I open web browser, these white dots/pixels are not visible and scroll is smooth. Then, when I right click on desktop and select Graphics properties, AMD program opens and when I go to scroll on same web page, white dots/pixles are visible. After restart, everything is great until I open it Graphics properties again.

It's really strange problem so I stopped opening driver interface. :D

Reactions: lab34

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have an Acer laptop(AMD), but I do not know what you mean, i just ran Speccy and i can not find any of the two names mentioned. And to tell you the truth I don't know what they stand for?o_Ocan somebody educate me.:)sorry:Catalyst is my answer:D
I just meant that my laptop has AMD a6-6310 apu with r4 graphics(integrated graphics) and it also have a discreet r5 m230 2 gb graphics card. By switchable graphics i meant it Automatically switches between these two depending upon the workload.

Reactions: ant_gamal

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Update: Apparently Crimson drivers do work for switchable graphics (amd apu with integrated graphics + discreet gpu) but not directly.
According to amd you just uninstall the current drivers using Control panel (only drivers), reboot and then download latest drivers from amd for your integrated gpu only (discreet gpu will use the same drivers) and install them.
However, this didn't worked for me (radeon settings failed to open and in device manager the Integrated gpu was shown as basic display adapter, meaning no drivers were installed for it. I tried manually but it showed some error). I tried this several time (yes with proper reboots).
So, i tried something else (after uninstalling all amd drivers and software and rebooting). I installed iobit driver booster (it's free), and updated the integrated gpu, reboot, and then installed the latest drivers from amd for integrated gpu only and guess what it worked.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
Update: Apparently Crimson drivers do work for switchable graphics (amd apu with integrated graphics + discreet gpu) but not directly.
According to amd you just uninstall the current drivers using Control panel (only drivers), reboot and then download latest drivers from amd for your integrated gpu only (discreet gpu will use the same drivers) and install them.
However, this didn't worked for me (radeon settings failed to open and in device manager the Integrated gpu was shown as basic display adapter, meaning no drivers were installed for it. I tried manually but it showed some error). I tried this several time (yes with proper reboots).
So, i tried something else (after uninstalling all amd drivers and software and rebooting). I installed iobit driver booster (it's free), and updated the integrated gpu, reboot, and then installed the latest drivers from amd for integrated gpu only and guess what it worked.

does any software driver do the same job cos i do not trust iobit sw

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Probably, the best way other than uninstall via control panel, is to use this if you want to remove any leftover of older drivers (software should be removed before) - it will revert your pc graphic to vga standard status - so use it if you know what it means ;)
Then you are prompted to install driver again from windows, abort and go to gpu vendor and grab latest driver - probably crimson in this case will do better

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
does any software driver do the same job cos i do not trust iobit sw

If this works for then you don't have to use iobit. This didn't worked for me. That's why i had to use iobit.

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
After
I just meant that my laptop has AMD a6-6310 apu with r4 graphics(integrated graphics) and it also have a discreet r5 m230 2 gb graphics card. By switchable graphics i meant it Automatically switches between these two depending upon the workload.
I have the same Apu and vga card but lenovo g50-45
Which better drive to use ?

And R5 M230 is same HD 8500M
Just rename only

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.