AMD's CPUs lose ground to Intel, Windows 7 gains users in latest Steam Survey

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
TL;DR: The Steam hardware survey for June has just arrived, and it’s not good news for AMD. Having seen its CPU share among participants grow for months on end before finally passing the 30% mark in May, team red experienced a decline of -1.72% in June, dropping down to 28.4%. Looking at graphics cards, the RTX 2060 saw the biggest increase, while the RTX 3070 moved into the top 15. Most surprising of all, more people are using Windows 7!

Last month’s survey results shows AMD experiencing its first decline in the CPU space since December, dropping from 30.1% to 28.41%. It comes despite AMD CPUs holding eight of the top ten spots on Amazon’s best-selling processors list, though Intel has been reducing the price of its 10th-gen and 11th-gen CPUs, so that could be having an effect.

Full article

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
AMD only have themselves to blame here. For the current price of a 5600X CPU I can get a decent B560 mobo and an Intel 11400/F which will cost around the same.

The R5 3600s are also overpriced and the Intel 10400/F are priced much cheaper which offer similar if not better gaming performance.

AMD better have an Ace up their sleeve or Intel is going to send them down those steam hardware charts again.

AMD certainly does not have the price vs performance crown in the current market.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

AMD only have themselves to blame here. For the current price of a 5600X CPU I can get a decent B560 mobo and an Intel 11400/F which will cost around the same.

The R5 3600s are also overpriced and the Intel 10400/F are priced much cheaper which offer similar if not better gaming performance.

AMD better have an Ace up their sleeve or Intel is going to send them down those steam hardware charts again.

AMD certainly does not have the price vs performance crown in the current market.
You don’t need a B550 board. B450 is enough.
also you get very bad performance and security with Intel CPUs. CPUs slowly reach original prices while GPUs are still insane.

AMD are definitely best for price/ power

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

AMD Ryzen CPU does not support Windows 7. Windows 7 are bad for gaming and support, and no longer support from Microsoft anymore. Why waste time on an outdated, unsecured,unsupported, and unoptimized os when you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free when Microsoft offer it or buy a license key for $5 - $10.

Scalpers are the one that ruining computer parts and electronic parts msrp, not manufacturers. Manufacturers see scalpers buying it at msrp then selling it at 3x over msrp, then manufacturers think why we don't do the same as scalpers do which is jacking up the msrp even further.

Ryzen 5000 are good for gaming and better than Intel 11th gen, hence why people are buying and hooking to Ryzen 5000 than Intel 11th. This is where scalpers got their eyes onto AMD Ryzen 5000 than Intel 11th. This opportunity give Intel a chance to fight back against AMD Ryzen 5000 with good deal on cpu. Intel 11th gen is also a big downgrade, and not worthy to upgrade over 10th gen because the same die size, same technology, and similar performance. I7 11700k is not worthy upgrade over i7 10700k. i9 11900k(8c/16t) is a big downgrade over i9 10900k(10c/20t). The only worthy is in 11th gen lineup is the i5 11400/F and the price Intel slap on.

The i5 11400F beats Ryzen 5 3600 but not Ryzen 5 5600x. If one looking for the best gaming cpu atm, then Ryzen 5 5600x is one of the best gaming cpu atm. Second to this is i7 10700k.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The i5 11400F beats Ryzen 5 3600 but not Ryzen 5 5600x. If one looking for the best gaming cpu atm, then Ryzen 5 5600x is one of the best gaming cpu atm. Second to this is i7 10700k.
Thanks for the reply interesting point about Windows 7, but when it comes to hardware tech, I am more than well aware of performance and who is who in the zoo.
I am currently running a Ryzen setup, and by no means am I an intel fanboi, although I own several Intel systems.

The intel i5 11400F (rs17000) sells for close to half the price of a Ryzen 5600x (rs28400) which only offer 9.7% better gaming performance. Even the older gen 10400/F(rs14750) and 10600K(rs20500) outperform the 3600X(rs21999) and 3600XT(rs24000) in gaming but sells for less than these AMD CPUs do on Amazon. These are not scalper prices, but retail pricing from Amazon and other reputable online stores.
relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

Lastly, price vs performance is where AMD is loosing their market share. The 10400,11400 and 10600K can all be bought for cheaper than the R5 3600
on Amazon at the current retail market prices, this is the mainstream market where most people spend their money. This chart below is slightly outdated in regard to the 10600k current prices.
performance-per-dollar.png

TLDR: Intel has slashed their CPUs prices, largely thanks to AMD which in turn will lower demand for mainstream AMD CPUS.

Important point to consider.
1 X 5600X CPU cost = 28400 rupees
1 X MSi B560 Mortar Mobo + 10400 = 28260 rupees
1 X MSi B560 Mortar Mobo + 11400F = 30500 rupees

So get a CPU with 9% better gaming performance, which you will never notice or a CPU and mobo about the same price. 🤣

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
You don’t need a B550 board. B450 is enough.
also you get very bad performance and security with Intel CPUs. CPUs slowly reach original prices while GPUs are still insane.

AMD are definitely best for price/ power
Yes, I am running a Ryzen B450 Mortar Max, and it's better than the B550 because it can run all Ryzen 1XXX and 5XXX something the B550 can't do is run 1st gen Ryzen cpus.

Also correct performance vs power, AMD is ahead. Prices vs performance, Intel is currently ahead.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
People going back to Windows 7? This is a security disaster, the system won't get important security patches anymore. Some people just need to understand that XP, 7 era is gone. Then these systems running 7 gets compromised by a undisclosed vulnerability and the user goes somewhere and starts complaining about how Windows is bad when it's his own fault for running a outdated system.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Steam's hardware survey doesn't provide the 'why' and 'how', just the 'what' when it comes to tracking trends in hardware. But I have to think AMD's slippage and Intel's resurgence is a combination of a silicon shortage and discounted prices on Core processors.
Take for example the Core i7-10700K (Comet Lake). It was selling for $380 at the beginning of the year, and is now marked down to $320 on Amazon. And looking at the price tracking history on CamelCamelCamel, it briefly dipped all the down to $260 last month. That's just one of many examples—it's like AMD and Intel suddenly swapped personalities, with the latter now the one with the bang-for-buck proposition.
Basically, the Silicon shortage is pushing AMD prices up since AMD CPU stocks are drying up and Intel has a far higher CPU surplus than AMD therefore they can afford to sell their underperforming CPUs cheap. 🐥🐥

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
In brief: The Steam hardware and software survey for July has arrived. Last month was a good one for AMD, Ampere, and, yet again, Windows 7. But while AMD is making up some of the ground it lost to Intel, there’s still no sign of the Radeon RX 6000 series among survey participants, despite the first cards arriving over eight months ago.

Having chipped away at Intel’s CPU lead since December and finally passing the 30% mark in May, AMD experienced a surprise decline in June, dropping to 28.41%. As predicted, it appears this was only a temporary blip: Team red rebounded with a share increase of 0.78% to hit 29.19% last month. More than seven out of ten people still use Intel CPUs, but AMD is back to putting pressure on its rival.

Full article

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.