For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
Other operating system
Pro
On-device encryption
Other full-disk drive encryption software
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
    • Basic account password (insecure)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
N/A - Linux / Mac / Other operating system
Network firewall
N/A
About WiFi router
Sagemcom Fast 3686 V1B
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
Duckhunt 0.9
Trend Micro HouseCall Free
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Mostly default settings
Periodic malware scanners
Full system scan - Manually once per several months. (Microsoft Defender + Malwarebytes free)
Quick scan - Automatic once a week with Microsoft Defender + Manually once per several weeks with Malwarebytes free.
Custom scan - Whenever I download a file I think should be scanned like exe/zip files. (Both Microsoft Defender + Malwarebytes free and if possible VirusTotal as well)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge:
Search Engine- A Mix between Google and DuckDuckGo. (Default is Google, new tab page is DuckDuckGo)
Extensions- Bitwarden, Dark Reader, Grammarly, HTTPS Everywhere, Trafficlight, Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, Britannica Insights, Google Dictionary, Google Translate, Hover Zoom+, New Tab Redirect, Return YouTube Dislike, User-Agent Switcher for Chrome, VT4Browsers, OneTab, Volume Booster.
Brave:
Search Engine- DuckDuckGo.
Extensions- Google Translate, Hover Zoom+, HTTPS Everywhere, VT4Browsers.
Tor:
Search Engine-
Torch and
DuckDuckGo.
Extensions- HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript.
Secure DNS
Cloudflare 1.1.1.2 Malware Blocking DNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe paid plan
Password manager
Bitwarden Free
Maintenance tools
HiBit Uninstaller, AxCrypt, Eraser, Trend Micro ID Security.
File and Photo backup
Important stuff are backed on Google Drive (various accounts), Mega, Dropbox, iCloud, BOX, Xiaomi Cloud and OneDrive. Everything is backed on the free plan.
System recovery
Windows system restore points.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Browsing the dark web
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading software and files from unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
CPU- Intel Core i5 10600K (OC).
Motherboard- Gigabyte Z490 UD.
RAM- HyperX Fury 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 (OC).
GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6G (OC).
Storage- ADATA SU630 3D QLC 960GB SSD SATA III, Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 SSD SATA III, 5 HDDs(around 2.5 TBs) and two optical drives.
Notable changes
* 30.11.22 - Switched Norton Safe Web with Trafficlight
* 29.12.22 - Updated the Recovery backup/plan section, Device encryption section and User Access Control section.
* 29.12.22 - Added Zemana AntiLogger.
* 02.02.23 - Downgraded Windscribe paid plan to 30GB Voucher Code.
* 22.05.23 - Upgraded to Windscribe paid plan.
* 22.05.23 - Updated the Maintenance tools, Log-in security, Periodic malware scanners and On-device encryption section.
* 24.05.23 - Added information about my router.
*07.01.24 - Updated a bunch of stuff.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
-I try my best while dealing with suspicious torrents but I do download a lot of stuff from shady sources... is the way I'm handling the situation good enough to protect my machine to a certain degree?

-I feel like I have too many browser extensions... is it really a concern?

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@Amnesia Guess you need for purpose this bunch of browser extensions, but why you chosen also Norton Safe Web? for website reputation?

Reactions: harlan4096

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What would you recommend to use instead? Trafficlight?
Yes, TrafficLight or Malwarebytes Browser Guard, but even Avira Browser Safety and Emsioft Browser Security are more effective than Norton Safe Web.
Just choose one of them what has no performance impact on your browser(s). The main web filtering is done either by Edge Smart Screen or Google Safe Browsing.

Or as mentioned by @Shadowra you could setup NextDNS, then no need to install any browser addon/extension for this purpose...

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
-I feel like I have too many browser extensions... is it really a concern?
Privacy Badger is redundant with µBO. HTTPS Everywhere is too, as Edge, Brave and most browsers now handle this internally via settings. Edge has its own built-in translator so you don't need Google Translate. Use the least number of extensions that you really need, which lowers attack surface.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
- Added Zemana AntiLogger free.
Nooooooooooo!!! I would uninstall, it hasn't been updated in years and the company is dead and no longer operating.

I would add OSarmor, H_C, AppGuard or VS. Something with VirusTotal integration since you download shady torrents so you can check if files are malicious.

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
Nooooooooooo!!! I would uninstall, it hasn't been updated in years and the company is dead and no longer operating.

I would add OSarmor, H_C, AppGuard or VS. Something with VirusTotal integration since you download shady torrents so you can check if files are malicious.
APPGUARD is too pricey for me, and does the OSarmor free plan limited by time? Believe it or not, I was surprised that even after I scanned my whole PC with MicDef and MalByts, Zemana was able to find some trackers... I guess that MicDef and MalByts are just not looking for those kind of staff

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
APPGUARD is too pricey for me, and does the OSarmor free plan limited by time? Believe it or not, I was surprised that even after I scanned my whole PC with MicDef and MalByts, Zemana was able to find some trackers... I guess that MicDef and MalByts are just not looking for those kind of staff
OK what's your budget for security? Free? $10? $20? AppGuard @ $40 is obviously out of budget.

Free you can use KVRT, Emsisoft EEK, or Hard Configurator. I would also consider WiseVector and if you really want to go nuts Comodo Firewall.

For $20 you can get OSarmor, maybe Hitman Pro.Alert on special.

& Trackers are nothing to be worried about, just tracking cookies that can be deleted. They won't damage your PC like malware/ransomware does.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My opinion on the browser extension situation.
TL;DR ➡️ Delete all except uBlock Origin, get Bitwarden Premium, switch Cryptomator

Long version ⬇️
Edge
Bitwarden, Dark Reader, Grammarly, HTTPS Everywhere, Trafficlight, Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, Britannica Insights, Google Dictionary, Google Translate, Hover Zoom+, New Tab Redirect, Return YouTube Dislike, User-Agent Switcher for Chrome, VT4Browsers.
  • Google Translate: Edge has its own translator toolset.
  • Bitdefender TrafficLight - redundant with uBlock Origin, and Edge’s Defender, or if you use Malwarebytes browser extension with Malwarebytes for Desktop.
  • Privacy Badger - redundant with uBlock Origin.
  • Britannica Insights - switch to bookmarked site and continue with Google Search.
  • HTTPS Everywhere - most sites now use HTTPS by default, and browsers warn users before visiting unsecured HTTP sites.
  • VT4Browsers - switch to site: VirusTotal
Brave
Google Translate, Hover Zoom+, HTTPS Everywhere, VT4Browsers.
  • Google Translate: Brave has its own translator toolset: brave://settings/languages - If Edge is your main browser, use that instead.
  • HTTPS Everywhere - most sites now use HTTPS by default, and browsers warn users before visiting unsecured HTTP sites.
  • VT4Browsers - switch to site: VirusTotal
IObit Uninstaller 11, AxCrypt, Eraser, qBittorrent, Zemana AntiLogger free.
  • IObit Uninstaller is unnecessary. Leftover files are harmless and mostly cause no issues.
  • Replace AxCrypt - Free encryption alternate: Cryptomator - Free Cloud Encryption for Dropbox & Co
  • Eraser is largely overkill and misuse can cause havoc. Using the Recycle Bin is OK.
  • Uninstall Zemana AntiLogger Free - Abandonware may compromise your security with unpatched flaws/bugs.
Bitwarden Free
Highly recommend upgrading to Premium for $10 per year. That’s less than $1 per month. And cheaper than Windscribe Premium.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 12.49.08.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.