Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Minor changes, mostly default
Periodic malware scanners
Windows Security-
*Quick scans: every week
*Full scans: once a month
*Custom scans: every time I download a file that I think should be scanned before launching/extracting it.
Malwarebytes Free -
(doesn't startup upon booting, opens when I need it and closes when I finish using it)
*Quick scans: when I feel like doing it
*Full scans: once per several months
*Custom scans: every time I download a file that I think should be scanned before launching/extracting it.

-In addition, I scan downloaded files that I think should be scanned with VirusTotal if possible(size limitation).
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Bitwarden - Free Password Manager
Privacy Badger
uBlock Origin
TrafficLight
User-Agent Switcher for Chrome
VT4Browsers
Secure DNS
Cloudflare 1.1.1.2
+ When Windscribe is running(most of the time) R.O.B.E.R.T.
Desktop VPN
Windscribe unlimited data plan, running most of the time and startup when booting.
Password manager
Bitwarden free
Maintenance tools
Trend Micro Unarchiver One
CrystalDiskInfo
HiBit Uninstaller
GIGABYTE Control Center
GeForce Experience
Intel® Graphics Command Center
Intel Driver & Support Assistant
Windows Tools(Reg edit, Disk Cleanup etc)
File and Photo backup
Big items are backed up manually to Optical disks/HDD when I feel like it.
Small items are backed up on various free cloud storage options(Google Drive, OneDrive, Mega, Dropbox etc).
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Windows restore points.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Browsing the dark web
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading software and files from unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
GIGABYTE G6 Laptop -
Intel Core i7 13620H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop
GIGABYTE G6 KF motherboard
Hynix DDR5 4800 CL40 16G x2(32G)
Gigabyte SSD 2500E M.2 2280 NVMe 500GB x2(1TB)
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
No encryption software like VeraCrypt?

Restore points are unfortunately not enough... I recommend that you create backups (of files or the whole system) which will be useful in the event of a problem ;) (Acronis, Aomei etc)

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
No encryption software like VeraCrypt?

Restore points are unfortunately not enough... I recommend that you create backups (of files or the whole system) which will be useful in the event of a problem ;) (Acronis, Aomei etc)
Important things are being backed up regularly on mega/google drive/optical disks and HDDs(ye I still use optical disks, they have a long shelf life and they're cheap)

tbh, I don't have a lot of experience with encryption software I'm using BitLocker on some flash drives and from time to time I use axcrypt for sensitive data like password manager export and things like that... Is VeraCryot a full system encryption? like when you log in it decrypts your drive..?

Reactions: harlan4096

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
I only use VeraCrypt (great tool !) to fill up containers with data. For backups I use the clone option from AOMEI Disk Partition Assistant Pro. I regularly clone “C“ drive (OS only) to external SSD sata drives, all my data is stored on external SSD’s. If needed i replace the “C” drive from my device with the target drive that contains the clone. AOMEI Disk Partition has also a Bitlocker option (y)

Last edited:

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
You can encrypt a disk or an entire partition, but I don't recommend the 2nd option: it can take a very long time to decrypt.....
I only use VeraCrypt (great tool !) to fill up containers with data. For backups I use the clone option from AOMEI Disk Partition Assistant Pro. I regularly clone “C“ drive (OS only) to external SSD sata drives, all my data is stored on external SSD’s. If needed i replace the “C” drive from my device with the target drive that contains the clone. AOMEI Disk Partition has also a Bitlocker option (y)

I'll go search for more information online regarding VeraCrypt and see if it's a tool that I really need in my arsenal, also do you back up the whole drive(with software and everything) or just the OS files?

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
@Amnesia

I create a full clone that contains beside the EFI partition all other partitions, which means that OS + Software is cloned to a target Samsung SSD drive, replacing the “C” drive is a piece of cake ...

I have no data on the “C” drive , all my files are on docking station with two SSDs + of course off line backups.
Kaspersky is protecting my devices but a main problem ( e.g. hardware ) is not catastrophic …

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.