App Review An AppCheck Quick Overview

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thanks for making video , so more people see that appcheck exist

It does not hurt to run it on background as it will work with most antiviruses

Would be interesting to see if the cleaner it has actually detects anything

My actual combination: F-Secure Safe, Simple Windows Hardening, Firewall Hardening and AppCheck.
Thinking about installing appcheck too , im running f--secure aswell,

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Just had a look at Appcheck, I see there are two flavours, free and pro (paid) Is the free one good enough?
Thanks in advance
Check this nice review.

When I downloaded a copy from their site yesterday, I got version 2.5.56.1. This morning, I updated the app with the updater and got version 3.1.225 which seems the latest.

I went back to their site today and clicked on free download and got the same old copy. Bug on their site.
Better to download from MajorGeeks

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
is appcheck free version enough?
Read the review on post #5
"AppCheck Anti-Ransomware is a must-have, even in the free version, which is available for personal use, paying not even a penny. It will dramatically improve your level of security, against the ever-evolving amount of ransomware being brought up every day.”
It's the kind of software I would install on my friends computers. They won't get any alerts, most of the time. For a savvy user, I think you'll get better protection with security add-ons like H_C, Voodooshield, SpyShelter, OSArmor....

Last edited:

Numeriku

Level 2
Verified
Mar 13, 2022
I went back to their site today and clicked on free download and got the same old copy. Bug on their site.
Better to download from MajorGeeks
Can just install the version from checkmal then right-click tray/about appcheck/check for update to get to the latest version. Thank you for recommending this!

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Just had a look at Appcheck, I see there are two flavours, free and pro (paid) Is the free one good enough?
Thanks in advance
For it’s main purpose, blocking ransomware and restoring files, it’s as good as the paid version from my experience.
I don’t think the extra tools are worth it (paying will rather be a compliment to the creator for the excellent piece of software), that‘s what AV are for, and there are plenty good, and even free options out there.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
For it’s main purpose, blocking ransomware and restoring files, it’s as good as the paid version from my experience.
I don’t think the extra tools are worth it (paying will rather be a compliment to the creator for the excellent piece of software), that‘s what AV are for, and there are plenty good, and even free options out there.
Seems that way and if development continues to go well, it's a dedicated anti ransomware program to consider and keep in mind as a combo/supplement as an additional layer for sure. I use to beta test and contributed to ransomoff early on by Heilig and it grabbed most the limelight for a brief time (as it showed promise then) while AppCheck slowly and methodically has overtaken the reasonably good position it finds itself at today with ever evolving ransomware flying off the assembly lines. Ransomoff simply ceased just when today it's vital to have a solid anti-ransomware program that offers reasonable protection in what it shows courtesy @cruelsister brief test.

Most impressive for me personally is that rapid rollback feature should files begin to encrypt- Much appreciation for this Topic.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
On the affected files rollback feature- For my taste speed is the key- the same as businesses and high industry. As @cruelsister mentions time and again there are but (to knowledge), only a few dedicated programs for strictly Anti-Ransomware. An ambitious, innovative, strong and reliable anti-ransomware can't be no easy task, but those committed to them have to stick with it for the long haul. I believe AppCheck, to my surprise fits that expectation. I took great pains, time, and effort contributing as a Heilig Defense Ransomoff beta tester. It showed great promise early on, but after a time does anyone now even remember it? The answer is clear. Obviously it's a specialized field of computer security- And of some importance is a great many unanswered questions if it's still practical or impractical. Ransomware is trying to bomb business industry (and anywhere else it can) out of existence in some cases, and others or most it's a fast pile of extorted funding constantly evolving.

More attention seems is focused on the prevention in the first place which should already be in place IMHO, but it sure is nice to have any type of reliable devoted Anti-Ransomware Program that can carry the load and also do near OR instant file recovery even after a system has encountered a ransomware probe intrusion.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
@cruelsister CHECKMAL's AppCheck was recently updated again. This one is beginning to grow on me. Running a few late night runs at it and AppCheck intercepting with message RANSOMWARE BEHAVIOR DETECTED CMD (pid #) PROCESS IS DETECTED AND IMMEDIATELY BLOCKED FOR DAMAGING MULTIPLE FILES- Interesting

You may want to do another run with it again soon.
[Release Notes] AppCheck update history (latest version: 3.1.24.3) - Notice - CheckMAL

Version 3.1.24.3 (21. Sep. 2022. 01:00 UTC)

Improved Ghost & Smart detection
Added System threat protection pattern
Fixed the problem that ransomware could not be detected due to CMS policy setting.
Add AppCheck message notification window.
Improved automatic backup options.
Fixed an issue where RansomShelter backup could not be performed in certain environments.
Improved Exception Setting.
Added AppCheck real-time protection status transfer function. (CMS)
Improved performance through improved handling of ransomware detection exceptions.
Improved general log
Added AppCheck update history menu
Fixed various bug

Version 2.5.57.2 (19. Sep. 2022. 02:00 UTC)

Improved Exception Setting.
Improved performance through improved handling of ransomware detection exceptions.
Fixed an issue where RansomShelter backup could not be performed in certain environments.
Added AppCheck real-time protection status transfer function. (CMS)
Improved RansomShelter path setting issue. (CMS)

Last edited:

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Playing with the newest AppCheck. Seems for me WD interferes with AppCheck and prevents it from snatching ransomwares. Mind you WD is first to jump to it so that might be the reason. Trying to balance these security apparatuses like AppCheck good as it's getting might only be a background grabber of some novel or modified ransomware WD could skip. In that case it could supplement WD.

Just some observation i noticed while hammering Windows with some powerful ransomwares. As a safety measure i underlay safety with Shadow Defender in Shadow Mode doing these. And i don't rely on VM's like so many others do whatsoever but on a real system directly.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've been running AppCheck (free) for two and half months, sits very quietly in systray on win10 21H2, earlier today a got a popup that it had auto-updated to v3.1.25.1 without any interruption. Then tonight, the dreaded BSOD! my first with win10. minidump confirmed AppCheck was the culprit using windbg app, also the first time I've run windbg. At the time of BSOD not much else was happening. I was reading email with The Bat!. AV is ESET and also running Voodooshield, so perhaps AppCheck bumped into VS? win10 is up and running aok for the past few hours, so not exactly concerned. I suppose I would remove AppCheck and keep VS, but this is the first hiccup in 10 weeks, so I'll keep things as they are for now and see what happens.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
update re AppCheck BSOD I had a few days ago -- contacted support, they replied 06 Dec:
"We are currently aware of the memory-related blue screen (BSoD) issue internally and are currently preparing a patched version. We apologize for any inconvenience caused."

Since my first & only BSOD on win10, it has been +4 days and win10 has been rock solid. Only fix was a reboot and review minidump file. My AppCheck continues as v3.1.25.1.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.