Advice Request An auto driver installer (and detector)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Hello,
I have to update Windows XP to 7 on a own build rig (of a friend) so I don't know which hardware is installed (I can see it with speccy so it's ok) but I want to know if a software that detect and install hardware drivers automatically exist ?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hello,
I have to update Windows XP to 7 on a own build rig (of a friend) so I don't know which hardware is installed (I can see it with speccy so it's ok) but I want to know if a software that detect and install hardware drivers automatically exist ?
There are indeed,like driver booster,Iobit,and
SlimDrivers 2.2.45206.63218

PS:I prefer to go to the manufacturers site and obtain the drivers there,since these can download drivers that may be newer, but depending on the chipset, can actually be incompatible!!
I have seen this from personal experience!!

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Yes but I don't have a page like I have for my laptop because the pc is "hand-made" !
Thanks @venustus

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows should update most and if you can see the hardware specs then you shouldn't have a problem finding the drivers from the manufacturer.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Run (Win + R) msinfo32.exe
  • Make a list of installed hardware components (you can copy-paste to notepad or print infos)
  • Goto each hardware component manufacturer's website and search\download the driver(s)
  • Check Device Manager for missing drivers - you will see a question mark in the list
  • In Device Manager do not forget to select "Show hidden devices" in View
It takes a long time. I know from experience...

You can install and run one of the driver-update utilities, like SlimWare, as suggested by others on the thread just to be sure.

Good Luck friend !!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
3rd party installers are not advised.
If you need help finding drivers, post those and I would be glad to help you. PeAcE

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may check first on your Device Manager (control panel) which hardware are indeed must at all, then search them manually on the internet.

Windows Update will solve most of essential hardware drivers.

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.