App Review An Avast Free AV Ransomware Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Y

yigido

Hahaha, I can't stop laughing :D :D Aww..cute CyberCapture... :cool::p
Cruelsister already maximized the protection settings (People love to link this thread (this)) but
I saw no difference the settings in the video. :rolleyes:

Again and again.. do not trust any default allow AV.. whatever the component it uses.. it is "Default Allow".. it always allow threats run :oops:
Anyway, have fun with Avast :):D Go don't stop recommend this to all of your friends, family, they will be secure(!) with it ;)

Thanks @cruelsister much appreciated for this review.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The sample that got by was the typical RAA ransomware- so the only exe that it called up (other than wscript) is Wordpad for the false Document. For this test I purposely didn't use anything either true Zero-day or stuff I code as I wanted the concentration to be on common malware that AVAST should react to but does not. Avast fans are too caught up in impressive sounding terms like "Hardened Mode" and "CyberCapture" (I still LOVE that term!), when in reality sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

But Avast isn't trash by any stretch. I think next week will be a repeat Avast test, but this time against something that has been showing up with great frequency lately- an executable that will try to turn our system into a malware distributing Zombie.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
The sample that got by was the typical RAA ransomware- so the only exe that it called up (other than wscript) is Wordpad for the false Document. For this test I purposely didn't use anything either true Zero-day or stuff I code as I wanted the concentration to be on common malware that AVAST should react to but does not. Avast fans are too caught up in impressive sounding terms like "Hardened Mode" and "CyberCapture" (I still LOVE that term!), when in reality sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

But Avast isn't trash by any stretch. I think next week will be a repeat Avast test, but this time against something that has been showing up with great frequency lately- an executable that will try to turn our system into a malware distributing Zombie.
CyberCapture does only exe and when it knows they came from online(downloaded from http/s and you also have to have web shield on and Avast community on. You also have to sacrifice your firstborn and pray to our lord and Savior Gaben daily). If you copy them to a vm from your pc it doesn't do anything. So basically it's kind of a gimmick. Sure Avast people will find a reason it does this but ok for me anything that doesn't react always it's a gimmick.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I've been meaning to get to Qihoo (which I like), but it's complicated as it really has to be done with QVM engine vs. QVM + BD. I have the next 3 weeks already pretty much planned out (another Avast, then BD 2017 and Webroot quickies); if I have the time before I go skiing in December I'll do it.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
I will love to see the reactions of the Webroot fanboys, as they will come to each others rescue like the do in other forums.
And yes, I have a feeling it will fail at some point in the hands of the good sister ;)

And another yes, I am also a fan of WSA, but intelligent enough to see when it fails...
It will be really interesting to see if their "monitor/rollback" feature can keep the ransom at bay or not?

/W

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Avast = Top kek, CyberCapture doesn't work, Hardened Mode still doesn't work well. Having everything set to high doesn't equal with high detection (you will have high FPs instead).

Maybe after Avast will add IDP from AVG will be better (I won't put my hopes in that).

FP positives aren't THAT bad. I'd rather have a lot of those than an infected computer. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.