Malware News Android Banking Trojan with 10K Installs Can Bypass Two-Factor Authentication

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In a detailed report published on his blog, security researcher Lukas Stefanko detailed how a banking Trojan posing as a legitimate phone call recording application steals bankings information from compromised Android devices.

The infected app was installed on more than 10,000 Android devices, and it managed to steal banking credentials even though SMS two-factor authentication was enabled on the test device with the help of Android's accessibility services.

According to ESET's mobile security researcher, the QRecorder Android app was initially a malware-free application but, in a subsequent release, the developer decided to include the banking Trojan to make some quick money.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
This is why I never bank using smartphones...these banking apps ask you to save your password too, lol!

What if someone steals your phone? Most of these Android phones are elementary to get into.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
This is why I never bank using smartphones...these banking apps ask you to save your password too, lol!

What if someone steals your phone? Most of these Android phones are elementary to get into.

Me too, exacly that why smartphone security is more sux than even windows....

Reactions: Kuttz

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

None of the Banking Apps I have used allow to Save Login Credentials, they either require a long PIN or Fingerprint.

If that option is available, do not use it.

It's your responsibility to take the necessary precautions (Anti-Theft enabled, a non-guessable 6+ digit PIN, Biometric (Fingerprint, Iris). But if your phone does get lost or get stolen, then you should be able to remotely locate, activate siren or wipe the device before it's put into Airplane mode or Turned off.

One should use a dedicated device for banking where possible.
It's never a good idea to use a Shared PC for Internet Banking, or a Shared device for Mobile Banking. You should just use Telephone Banking instead, @Entreri

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.