Hot Take Android Central: "Why I’d rather spend $1,000 on a Chromebook than a tablet"

Would you rather spend $1000 on a premium Chromebook or Tablet?

• $1000 on a Chromebook

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • $1000 on a Premium Tablet

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There’s an argument to be made that tablets are more versatile, but they are still companion devices. They're meant to be used alongside your existing computing setup, and in many cases, extend or improve the overall experience.

Chromebooks, on the other hand, are computing devices. You don’t need to worry about grabbing a keyboard or case, and you’ll be able to do more than what you could on an iPad Pro or Galaxy Tab S8+. And the biggest benefit? They’ll be supported until 2030, whereas the same can’t be said for any other tablet on the market, regardless of how much you pay.
Continue reading: Why I’d rather spend $1,000 on a Chromebook than a tablet

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
This is the part I liked, as well as the general features of a Chromebook, the ability to self-repair or upgrade if needed. If you can easily get the parts?

The real appeal of the Framework is modularity and repairability, thanks to the four expansion cards that are included. Not to mention that you should be able to upgrade the Mainboard in the future whenever the Intel 12th Gen chip gets a bit long in the tooth.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
All the issues plaguing the Android platform, mainly in the update area, are absent from the Chromebook/Chrome OS. It has proven to be a (relatively) reliable system (excluding some hardware issues such as Bluetooth). It’s quite secure and performant as well. Not sure why and who would prefer Android. iPad is a different story.

For Fuchsia we may have to wait forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and a090

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I just don't see the need to spend $1K on a ChromeBook. They are cheap devices where you don't need the latest and greatest CPU/GPU, DDR or IPS screen. Google already tried premium Chromebook with Pixel line-up and it failed miserably because people just didn't want to spend money on a premium Android device that wasn't a phone/tablet. You don't need a Intel i7 or i9 for a Chromebook so spending $1K was and still is a waste.

Tablets on the other hand are versatile and the batteries now last for ages, my 3-year-old Android tablet can run for weeks without recharge. I don't see Tablets/Phones replacing Laptops/PC's, tablets in particular are backup devices you can use if something goes wrong with your setup (broken laptop or PC) or use when travelling.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I just don't see the need to spend $1K on a ChromeBook. They are cheap devices where you don't need the latest and greatest CPU/GPU, DDR or IPS screen. Google already tried premium Chromebook with Pixel line-up and it failed miserably because people just didn't want to spend money on a premium Android device that wasn't a phone/tablet. You don't need a Intel i7 or i9 for a Chromebook so spending $1K was and still is a waste.

Tablets on the other hand are versatile and the batteries now last for ages, my 3-year-old Android tablet can run for weeks without recharge.
I’d spend on one as long as it’s not Intel. If it’s AMD, Mediatek or Qualcomm it will be better. People are just used to buying Windows laptop though.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I’d spend on one as long as it’s not Intel. If it’s AMD, Mediatek or Qualcomm it will be better. People are just used to buying Windows laptop though.
I wouldn't buy a Mediatek or Qualcomm (Phone yes, I would buy) Chromebook but that's just me. A nice Intel i3 or AMD 5 series would last for ages.

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I wouldn't buy a Mediatek or Qualcomm (Phone yes, I would buy) Chromebook but that's just me. A nice Intel i3 or AMD 5 series would last for ages.
AMD overall seems like the best choice. Unfortunately not too many AMD chrome-books are available.

Reactions: a090

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
AMD overall seems like the best choice. Unfortunately not too many AMD chrome-books are available.
Give it time. If AMD continues to outperform Intel, they will come. Imagine 5 years ago if you said that AMD would beat Intel you would have been joking. Intel has stagnated while AMD has outperformed them by a long way, if the trend continues Intel is in real trouble, hell 5 years ago if you said top line gaming laptops would have had AMD chips you would of been laughed at.

Graphics on the other hand it's status quo, Nvidia is still king while AMD is distant second and Intel is a joke. There relaly needs to be some top level compitition in the GPU area. Nvidia is basically a monopoly and stifles competition.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: a090 and Trident

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.