Android Customization is still better than iOS 14 (AndroidCentral)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
When Apple's new OS, App Library, and widgets came out, my future colleagues argued that iOS 14 was a better version of Android 11. I can only speak to the Apple side of things, but I personally wasn't quite as impressed. Yes, the widgets are especially handy and a huge step up for Apple's UI. Yet the App Library relies on the same folders as before, just auto-organized. To me, iOS folders are like garages stuffed with stacks of old tools you hold onto and use once in a blue moon — not where you keep the daily apps you actually need. Besides that, the apps themselves are still their usual square selves.

I was open to a new experience, even if I was used to Apple's style. Then I found out about Android launchers: Android theming had been almost completely off my radar until that moment, and every friend with an iPhone I asked didn't know it was an option either.

I fell eagerly down a rabbit hole of launchers, icon packs, and custom KWGT widgets, tools that made playing with phone settings appealing instead of a chore. Customization is undoubtedly one of the high points for Google in the iOS vs Android battle.

Read more at AndroidCentral.com

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Bet ios users would do the same with their phones but it's not possible. 😂
Some of them would do for sure!
But let's being serious for a while - I never understood all this hype around widgets and stuff.
Even when I was using Android in the past I was keeping my homescreen clean with only most used apps on it and weather and news widgets on the separate screen and this is what I am utilizing now while using iOS - homescreen with most used apps, weather, news and shortcuts widgets in "today" view. The rest hidden in apps library.
I understand that different people have different aesthetics and that's why we need diverse mobile operating systems so everyone can find the one that suits his/her needs the best.
Cheers :emoji_beer:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Installing third-party launcher is also an security and privacy problem.

customization isn't always best option.
Some launchers are FOSS. Other launchers have been around for a long time with a good history. Icon packs make huge difference, if you don't like the default theme.

Using first-party apps are also a security and privacy problem.
This is the best example:

First party app problems....

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Well, I keep choosing Android, each system has its advantage, but due to my needs and my way of always wanting to customize things, my choice will always be Android.

Reactions: Venustus and tipo

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Some of them would do for sure!
But let's being serious for a while - I never understood all this hype around widgets and stuff.
Even when I was using Android in the past I was keeping my homescreen clean with only most used apps on it and weather and news widgets on the separate screen and this is what I am utilizing now while using iOS - homescreen with most used apps, weather, news and shortcuts widgets in "today" view. The rest hidden in apps library.
I understand that different people have different aesthetics and that's why we need diverse mobile operating systems so everyone can find the one that suits his/her needs the best.
Cheers :emoji_beer:
Guess we're on the same page. 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-183436_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-183436_One UI Home.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 185

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.