Advice Request Android IPV4 CAPTCHA on Mobile Data

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Xanoas

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2014
I just connected to a underground Wi-Fi network that is open, but requires you to sign into your network providers portal, I was connected for a minute to check messages, but after I got above ground, I used my Mobile Data and tried to google something I kept getting a CAPTCHA. I scanned using MB, Kaspersky, Avast and ESET, nothing came up. Why did this happen and could I possibly be infected? After wiping my firefox private data and using CCleaner I was still experiencing this issue, note that this issue only occurred on my firefox browser and not chrome, after restarting my phone the issue went away.

I've got an S7 Edge and am on the December security patch.

D

Deleted member 65228

I used my Mobile Data and tried to google something I kept getting a CAPTCHA
Google thought your online activity was "suspicious" and temporarily flagged you to enforce a captcha code to make sure that you were a human and not a bot. I believe it is actually a common thing when a VPN/proxy is enabled or a third-party open network is being used.

99.9% chance that you are not infected with malicious software - unless you've been going on suspicious websites or have downloaded and ran something. The likelihood is that the captcha code would still be persistent as we speak right now and not just for Google if you were infected - and considering you were using an open network as you've already mentioned and it only occurred on Google (who do have such mechanisms for security), it only makes sense that there is nothing wrong.

A malware author isn't going to make much money off tricking people into entering captcha codes because services which pay-out for this sort of thing won't pay out a lot - they'll be interested in stealing banking credentials or encrypting/stealing documents and demanding a ransom.

I run into the captcha code issue with Google when I'm on an open WiFi network quite often, and occasionally if a VPN is left enabled by accident. It usually becomes triggered when I am doing research and make multiple Google queries across different tabs in a short time span. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: roger_m

Xanoas

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2014
Google thought your online activity was "suspicious" and temporarily flagged you to enforce a captcha code to make sure that you were a human and not a bot. I believe it is actually a common thing when a VPN/proxy is enabled or a third-party open network is being used.

99.9% chance that you are not infected with malicious software - unless you've been going on suspicious websites or have downloaded and ran something. The likelihood is that the captcha code would still be persistent as we speak right now and not just for Google if you were infected - and considering you were using an open network as you've already mentioned and it only occurred on Google (who do have such mechanisms for security), it only makes sense that there is nothing wrong.

A malware author isn't going to make much money off tricking people into entering captcha codes because services which pay-out for this sort of thing won't pay out a lot - they'll be interested in stealing banking credentials or encrypting/stealing documents and demanding a ransom.

I run into the captcha code issue with Google when I'm on an open WiFi network quite often, and occasionally if a VPN is left enabled by accident. It usually becomes triggered when I am doing research and make multiple Google queries across different tabs in a short time span. :)

Common a VPN or proxy, but not when using your Mobile Data, so why would I get such a message? I don't visit malicious sites and it only occurred on my Firefox browser, not on Chrome.

D

Deleted member 65228

Common a VPN or proxy, but not when using your Mobile Data, so why would I get such a message? I don't visit malicious sites and it only occurred on my Firefox browser, not on Chrome.
Mobile data uses the server of the network provider, it's not like a normal home network. In a way it is very similar to a VPN/Proxy because you will be passing through a server which others can pass through as well, unlike a home secured network.

If the captcha code was being displayed when trying to access a result from Google then that is different and potentially related to the website itself, but if the captcha was being shown when actually trying to browse with Google, then there's nothing to worry about unless it is persistent. For example, is it still happening now?

tor_catcha_google.png

[Source of image]

I don't think there is anything to worry about here, but if you insist you can reset your device to factory settings - make sure you're aware that data will be lost when doing this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: roger_m and upnorth

Xanoas

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2014
Mobile data uses the server of the network provider, it's not like a normal home network. In a way it is very similar to a VPN/Proxy because you will be passing through a server which others can pass through as well, unlike a home secured network.

If the captcha code was being displayed when trying to access a result from Google then that is different and potentially related to the website itself, but if the captcha was being shown when actually trying to browse with Google, then there's nothing to worry about unless it is persistent. For example, is it still happening now?

tor_catcha_google.png

[Image from a website article regarding Tor]

Did the page look like this?

I don't think there is anything to worry about here, but if you insist you can reset your device to factory settings - make sure you're aware that data will be lost when doing this though.

The CAPTCHA only appeared when trying to search using Google, but everything else was fine, after turning my phone on and off it disappeared, right now it's not coming up on anything, maybe restarting my phone assigned me a new IP address on the network?

D

Deleted member 65228

maybe restarting my phone assigned me a new IP address on the network
I'm not sure but it is always possible. Google can enforce it randomly sometimes, although I rarely get it on my normal home network. I only encounter it when using mobile data, an open WiFi or a VPN and it becomes triggered when I am searching a lot in a short time-span (usually).

Of course I'd never use an open network without VPN for an extra layer of encryption against potential attackers on the network, so that goes hand in hand really.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.