Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
If you're using Facebook on your Android smartphone, you should be just as careful clicking on links as you would (hopefully) be on a desktop computer.

A few days ago I received a Facebook friend request and, as is usual, used my Android smartphone to check out the details of the person before I decided whether I wanted to become "friends" or not.

As the following video demonstrates, a link on the user's Facebook profile redirected my browser to a webpage that downloaded malware automatically onto my Android phone

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=JPlJrB652w8[/video]

Read more ; http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/02/24/android-malware-facebook/

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It was malware.... LOL ... Are you sure ? with a name like any_name.apk ? Could a link that you got from a Facebook spam profile lead to malware?
Nevertheless , I know what you should do ... Start installing the any_name.apk app , even if you don't know what it is and approve all the permissions that it ask (yes, even allow it to send premium messages) .....
Oh wait you've got the Sophos AV.... oh yes , you're safe ... from yourself.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
lol even you are much safer if you don't allow installs from unknown sources. Just make sure that "Unknown Sources" is unchecked. It is not easy at all to silently install an application on Android.
unknown_sources_android.jpg

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
It depends what kind of malware it is but I generally think an IS version is needed since android OS is getting very popular which makes them a wonderful target for malware writers. A malware that makes you send sms every five minutes would dangerous in that sense that it will give the user a huge phone bill. So it's a risk. The malware is not ransonware but malware due to its action it performs.

I see no harm in having AV/(IS version) for android. AV/IS is not needed if you surf safe, even on windows there is no need for AV but it's a good to know that you are somehow guarded against infections. It will give you peace in mind.

V

Vextor

I'm not really that bothered about Android Malware. Unless it becomes as bad as Windows, it's not that big of a problem.
I would use one if I had an Android, so long as it is free, cause it's not worth to pay for one. Unless it becomes as bad as Windows, free AV's are good enough for most people.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well there will be nothing loss if you use AV in Android since its always up to date for in the wild list of Android Malware. Some AV's does not consume much in battery.

Justin

Dec 30, 2011
I simply chose to keep my android safe without an av as you can simply use some common sense by not installing untrusted applications & games

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.