Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Apple critics have often complained that its products offer too less for what they cost. In the Android ecosystem, the scenario is exactly the opposite: you can get a lot for less than half of the price of an iPhone. Soon enough, this gap might widen even more, with 24GB of RAM becoming the standard for flagship phones.

According to a trusted Chinese leaker Digital Chat Station, Android smartphones with 24GB of RAM are coming. On the Chinese social media Weibo, the leaker has claimed that "Oga" has started working on popularizing that large memory. If you have never heard of them, Oga manufacturers consist of Realme, OnePlus, and Oppo.

The leaker has not given us details on which company of that group is working on 24GB of RAM for its phones. However, the Weibo post claims that 24GB RAM will be offered as the top configuration of the company's flagship line and 16GB will be the standard memory. [...]

While hardware requirement depends on how you want to use your phone, 8GB of RAM is considered sufficient for most people. And those who want future-proofing might wish to settle on 12GB or 16GB. Anything above that might look attractive on paper, but you will unlikely achieve something great that can solve a particular problem.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
*laugh in Apple*

6a0120a5580826970c01b7c7d3696e970b-pi

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
You don't need more ram for bloatware. Also, some Chinese manufacturers are doing this, not Google

MSDOS would run in 640kb, try running Windows in that. But then it depends on your view of what constitutes bloatware.

OS developers generally drive hardware requirements not the other way around(please refer above).

Reactions: vtqhtr413

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
MSDOS would run in 640kb, try running Windows in that. But then it depends on your view of what constitutes bloatware.

OS developers generally drive hardware requirements not the other way around(please refer above).
Android don't need 24 GB ram to function. Don't know what's your logic here. One can add as much ram as the hardware allows, whether it will be in use or not. My brother built a PC in 2018 with 128 GB ram. Even 15% was never used while heavy browsing. Microsoft Windows didn't and doesn't need 128 GB ram to work.
Also, don't start comparing everything with Apple which is what you're implying. All OSs are different from each other. Android for sure usually needs more ram than iOS while the size of apps for iOS are much bigger than Android apps. Different OS has different frameworks with different requirements. Not everything is Microsoft or Google's fault.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...Also, don't start comparing everything with Apple which is what you're implying... Not everything is Microsoft or Google's fault.

Please don't make assumptions about what I'm "implying" or otherwise. My point was I consider GUI's bloatware over CLI, MacOS included.

No, you're correct. So, lets settle on 95-99% MS and Google's responsibility.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Meanwhile, for the millions of Windows laptops out there, there are still 16 GB, which is always critically lacking, but the manufacturers have no plans to make 32 as the default standard :)
Like my laptop with 8 GB of Ram? Some days I'm cutting it pretty close to page file-swapping time. Maybe more than I know or realize (it's set on Automatic). Maybe I could use that phone for page file ram :) :)

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I have noticed with the latest update for android 12 that it has dedicated some disk for RAM, it shows as 4.0+3.0 GB RAM, it can be turned off though.
A friend of mine had a Xiaomi phone with 6 GB ram, but it had the option in settings to use 8GB ram, where 2 GB will be deducted from its storage disk. When activated, it showed like it's been shown on your phone 6.0+2.0 GB ram. So it must be related to your phone, not Android 12 itself.

Reactions: TairikuOkami

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.