Battle Android smartphone manufacturer

Darlene

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
Looking for my first smartphone. Need some advise because I am not familiar with the "smartphone" world at all.

Budget: Low (150 € ~ 166$)
Features: None
Size: Medium (not lager then 5")

Would prefer one of the following brands: Samsung, Motorola and Google Nexus.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What OS are you most interested in Android, iOS or Windows 10 Mobile? (And have you tried any in-store)?

What is your budget?

Do you want exclusive features limited to certain devices (ie. Biometric scanner, expandable storage, front-facing camera with high MP/quality)?

What screen size do you prefer (ie. a larger screen is 5" and higher)?

----

Google don't manufacture their own smartphone, but that will change in the coming years.

"At the end of April, Google set up its own hardware division and appointed former Motorola president Rick Osterloh to run it. The idea was to bring the company’s various gadget projects under a single umbrella.

Now, The Telegraph’s sources say that Google is gearing up to design and manufacture a smartphone on its own – representing a major shift from its standard strategy of partnering with major handset makers like LG, Huawei and HTC to develop Nexus devices that showcase the Android platform."

Read more: Google is reportedly designing its own Android phone this year

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
My vote will always go with Nexus devices for Android phones, However Samsung have really got their act together with the S6/S7 range. Very impressive. I'm hoping to see Google combine Android and Chrome OS into one and maybe release a high end Pixel phone although I think that may be a bit further down the line.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you want regular updates and fixes then go to Nexus, for sure the optimization of any major upgrades will not be affected compare to other smartphone brand.

If you deal on some features then go to Samsung, however I'm routing for Motorola for the change cause I can see that majority of smartphones are well polished.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I'm not into brand wars, hence I'm into any android smartphone that is cheap with all-metal build quality.
However, despite that; since there's only few options you listed.. I'll go for Samsung for it decently build quality. But price wise, expect a premium (though I strongly felt, it's kinda over-priced).

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I agree with this. Xiaomi products are far better then you usually expect from chinese stuff, but they are low-cost.

Doesn't matter if it's low cost or premium cost. What matters to everyone is different among person to person.

Xiaomi in this case excels in terms of cost vs quality war. Attractive pricing at a cost of decent specifications and features. To me, smartphones is like a computer security. U know how to work with it, even a cheap one will do you good. U don't know how to work it, even the premium one won't last you long.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My first choice would be LG, then Samsung a close second.
Both make amazing and solid devices, I still have a LG Optimus Pro in mint condition
that's going to my daughter this year as her first phone. Samsung is rockin the market
too with some of their new models, can't go wrong with either.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.