Battle Android vs. iOS

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
Unfortunately, after many, many years, my iPhone is on its way out. It's extremely slow, I barely have any apps on it, all my photos / videos have been uploaded to an external drive, I've tried to resetting to factory defaults, nothing works. As much as I do NOT want to buy a new phone, I'm obligated to have one. I know little to nothing about modern phones, in fact, up until this point I was using the original iPhone. The only two major smartphone OS's I know of, are Android and iOS. Basically, I'm interested in all of your opinion regarding which operating system of the two in 2016 is the fastest and most secure. I don't mind sacrificing some speed for greater security functionality. Of course we all hate the word "best", but I want your honest opinion of what works well for you. In terms of general features, that obviously differs from phone to phone, but if there are any OS-based specifics that you think are worth mentioning, by all means. Also, feel free to recommend me specific phones, and I will begin to jot down a personal list with pros and cons. Thank you for any help that you can provide me.

Edit: Not stopping non-android/iOS users from sharing their OS experience.

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I had an Android,but I decided that I was (IMO) fighting a losing battle to make a Smart-Phone as secure as my laptop..so decided to revert to an old Nokia instead.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know little to nothing about modern phones, in fact, up until this point I was using the original iPhone.
That's the problem, you were using an iPhone from 2007 (9 years ago). The latest iPhone 6s boasts many new features and more powerful to handle everyday tasks. According to speculation the upcoming iPhone 7 will not be a new design, instead that will arrive next year.

You are correct, there are only TWO major mobile OS players; Google's Android and Apple's iOS.

Nowadays people are recommending a Nexus device for the latest Android features and security updates, but it's up to you whether you like the Nexus devices or something else. Remember high-end Android devices are better in the long run than Low / Middle-end devices that usually lack in CPU power, RAM and Storage.

NB: I did not chose to include Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile, as they lack on the software front, and therefore cannot be a dependable choice.

Once you have picked your OS, you can open a new thread Compare Hardware, Gadgets and Devices to help pick between the hardware (ie. iPhone SE vs iPhone 6s) -- for example.

N

NullByte

I own a LG Nexus 5X with Android and it's really fast, was faster then my old IPhone 4. When it comes to security, depends on what you do and from where you install your Apps. I have Zemana with AdGuard as protection and I don't really install new Apps and because of this I'm a little more secure then others. I also have a backup just in case.

Because of my good experience with Android, I will vote Android :)

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
@Huracan Yeah, I knew it was because it was old. I do NOT hold that against Apple, as that would be absurd. I'm just using this an excuse to either catch up with the latest and greatest in iOS, or try something new (Android).

Edit: thank you for clarifying what I can post in the hardware section, I got confused and thought this thread could be classified under hardware (OS).

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my view in terms of speed and security, IOS has the edge.

Since Apple products have synchronized fine tune processor architecture so the reliability performance has observe compare to Android.

For Android phones, you need to purchase high-end ones to experience blazing fast considering the optimization of Android OS.

Zerion

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Well i had the first Samsung Galaxy, and it was not a good experiance.. I felt it was laggy, screen was not really good, camera, bugs, bad apps etc.. All compared to an iPhone.

Buf ofc Android is more " Open " customizable, and such, but for my phone i just want everything to work, the apps are really good quality, everything is so good optimized, easy to use and general fast.

So my vote is on IOS / iPhone.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm only going on experience, which for me it would have to be Android. I've been using Android since the HTC Wildfire and have gone through the HTC One M7 and i'm currently upgrading from the HTC One M8 to the HTC 10. Only reason I've picked to go Android over IOS is because of the customisation you can do with Android. Not saying you can't customise IOS just there is so much you can do with Android. My thing is if you want to be able to control what you do with your phone and be able to customise it the way you want then I'd go Android. If you're looking for a phone to just use in everyday tasks and not bothered on what it looks like I'd go IOS, not saying you can't go and do that with Android, just I see apple more a business minded phone. :)

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Definitely Android. Apple is way too locked down for my taste. I also went from Htc One M8 to the Htc 10, and it is by far the best phone I've ever owned. Love the dual speakers. Rooted it with Xposed Framework, and I can customize anything I want.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.