Battle Android vs. iPhone

A

Alkajak

Thread author
Looking at a few Android phones right now. Mostly LG and Sony are catching my eye, the rest of the brands seem to be on the decline. My Note 4 is almost at life's end after just 10 months, and I can confidently say I will not be looking into Samsung again.

So the question at hand, especially with more and more Android security issues arising with their OS changes, is do I make the jump? Are iPhones as good as they are marketed to be? I'm well aware that they are technologically behind out-of-box, but their OS mitigates that con by being incredibly smooth to use.

I use my smartphone for 4+ hours per day and I have been on Android for almost 10 years now.

This will be a $800+ purchase, so serious responses please.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
We should aware that the price of Iphone are definitely expensive but rest assure that the performance is efficient, reliable and good investment.

When it comes to security, IOS by default have more strict especially programs on Apple Store so threats are lesser compare to Android.

However Android from the first place is so easy to purchase, since majority of smartphone brands manage to produce common hardware architecture like Quad Core up to Octa Core. (depends on the processor) So you will not lose many options.

For the change, Apple products way better because of same architecture and maintenance to make it better.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not an easy choice, both of the latest Android and iOS devices are top quality. Not voted.

What iPhone are you considering, 6/Plus or 6S/Plus? Keep tabs on the upcoming iPhone 7.

Sony may replace the Xperia Z with X, so it's something to keep in mind.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Alkajak, although I've recently arrived to the entry level gates of the Android Smart-phone realm myself, my vote goes to iPhone!:) From reading your post, succeeded by the knowledgeable encouragements which followed, it would be (imho) a step backwards for you to return to Android. I would instead prefer that you spend less money where your heart lies, and so I listened to my wife who told me her thoughts that you shouldn't spend $800+ for your Apple.
Therefore, at her suggestion, you could consider this: Apple iPhone 6 or 6 Plus 16GB, 64GB, or 128GB Smartphone (GSM Unlocked) (Refurbished)

Whichever way you turn, I do hope you come away with the perfect one for you.:D

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I cannot speak for Android phones but I love my iOS phone, I have been using iPhones since the 4 came out and right now I'm up to the 6. I love the fact that the user interface is so easy to navigate and although it's less customizable than androids, it is still smoother than most android phones out in the market mainly because the OS is developed for the iPhone itself and not distributed to other companies.

The apps for both android and iOS are about the same with some differences only in security apps. iOS doesn't really have much security apps because apple wants to take care of that themselves.

A

Alkajak

Thread author
I'm not looking at entry level devices. Flagship or mid-high range.

I like the customization on Android devices, but mainly because they need tweaking to actually look good. iPhones look pretty good GUI-wise, but how restricted are you on customization?

Main uses: Browsing, emails, taking pictures, occasional game to kill time and using it as my answer to life's questions. Having a clock, weather, and calendar widget are important to me. I need this information on my homescreen without having to open apps. How is widget support on iOS now?

Reactions: King Alpha

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After some consideration, I voted iPhone, particularly towards the "iPhone 6S".

For the best Android performance, you need the Premium devices and you'll be paying a similar price to an iPhone.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
My cousin just gifted my dad a s7 32GB that came w/ 128GB Samsung EVO MicroSD. In my testing so far, there's no lag or anything but it heats up, I don't know what's causing this, could be metallic construction or exynos going havoc. Besides, you said you need ease of use, and some of the features you need/use daily on android, its better to stick with android, because you've the experience which apps are good(Albeit, good on batteries too) and that can save a lot of time during installation & restore. Also, you get the ability to amp your storage upto 200GB which iphones never suppported.
I'm not much knowledgeable about droids, because I use WP running W10M. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

rigor

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2016
I prefer iPhone over Android devices. It is waaay more secure than android. Sure, iPhone's have been cracked by the FBI and Android phones have not. I am more worried about all the apps you install that require permissions they should not have. Even the more popular apps require too much. On iPhone's you have to allow access to photos/microphone/camera and such the first time you run the app im pretty certain.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
A

Alkajak

Thread author
But there are not Apple non premium devices, so... i prefer Android (i'm in budget)

But I've mentioned that I'm not looking for non-premium devices. It doesn't really help the decision I'm trying to make. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty much decided on the iPhone, but the 6S. The 7's rumoured headphone-thunderbolt port is pretty ridiculous to me. The lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack is an odd design change.

Reactions: rigor

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.