Android, website corrupt battery/virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi everyone!!! Hope you all had a great weekend.

I was browsing online on my android device and this website just loaded and a message popped-up saying your oneplus two battery is corrupt with a virus, exit the browser at your own risk. Anyone had this, or a similar message?

Tony :)

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah thats umm well very unlikely infecting you on a kernel level would take root su and would be a very sophisticated piece of malware. I've heard of android rootkits which is what it would require but highly unlikely especially out of a browser. Guess it depends on what device what kernel etc, but highly unlikely and those popups are all over the place: as Huracan said Ignore them...

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hi everyone!!! Hope you all had a great weekend.

I was browsing online on my android device and this website just loaded and a message popped-up saying your oneplus two battery is corrupt with a virus, exit the browser at your own risk. Anyone had this, or a similar message?

Tony :)

Beware-of-Fake-Virus-Threats-on-your-Mobile-Device.png
mobile-alert-secure-intl-com.png

Usually these type of website (messages) load on your phone via a redirect or popup ads that can be found on questionable websites (torrents, adult content etc).. Most of these type of ads recommend that you install "360 Security - Antivirus Boost"..
The messages of the pop-up may differ: "You phone is infected", "Your phone battery is corrupt", "Your operating system is out of date".
Needless to say that they are just scareware (bogus message) and you should not install the app they want. If you want to install an antivirus go with Malwarebytes or Avast Antivirus.

More details:
Android Pop-ups Warn of Infection

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thank-you very much Jack - I currently use Kaspersky, is that any good?

Huracan: Yes I use OnePlus two - currently using Google Chrome, under privacy sections have all blocked and within OnePlus privacy guard all blocked for Chrome.

I have just started (again) using Adguard Pro for Android, may be that will help/avoid issues, I thought Kaspersky would stop such events??

Last edited by a moderator:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
All, and I do mean all, of these messages are scams. They are just trying to scare users, and it's really getting annoying.
I would recommend you start using Adguard for Android, like you said - it is very effective at blocking these types of links, I am currently using it and it has proven extremely useful. (the popup might still appear, but it won't display anything)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Whenever you get these type of popups Do Not click on anything.Instead kill the browser and avoid the site where it came from in the future.All these types of messages are scams unless from a legitimate software you installed.
I have just started (again) using Adguard Pro for Android, may be that will help/avoid issues, I thought Kaspersky would stop such events??
Adguard works great on Android but nothing is full proof and even with Adgauard sometimes these can slip through depending on the site and the redirect.Unfortunately Android security programs will not stop ads or some redirects

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nah.. Don't worry, in Android you will not infected easily at all even you encounter that sites unlike in Windows or Mac OS X that may develop some drive by download attacks. In my experience I've encountered many pop-up alerts regarding on corrupt battery related virus and I just ignore it. ;)

Not a problem if you are insist to have a security software for the formality of blockage.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
All, and I do mean all, of these messages are scams. They are just trying to scare users, and it's really getting annoying.
I would recommend you start using Adguard for Android, like you said - it is very effective at blocking these types of links, I am currently using it and it has proven extremely useful. (the popup might still appear, but it won't display anything)
I use adaway I've known the dev for ages he's a good dude it even rids ads inside of apps that are deeply embedded... Very good sw though it does require root to modify your hosts list. You will not find it on the market well not the official build of it: only on xda or the Dev's website. The app is safe the developer is sound and updates it frequently. Whenever they come up with a new way to embed the ads in he figures out how to get around it and block it. It will block any and all ads as far as I can tell and I've been using his app for many years. Here's a link to his website if you want to check it out. AdAway

Last edited:

SBYH

Jul 27, 2016
Whenever you get these type of popups Do Not click on anything.Instead kill the browser and avoid the site where it came from in the future.All these types of messages are scams unless from a legitimate software you installed.

Adguard works great on Android but nothing is full proof and even with Adgauard sometimes these can slip through depending on the site and the redirect.Unfortunately Android security programs will not stop ads or some redirects

I'm having the same problem on my Android phone in Google Chrome. My problem is how not how to prevent it in the future, but how to get rid of it now, because it redirects to clicklink8.com and the same strange popups whenever I open Chrome, i.e., I can't use Chrome until I open a new tab. What to do next?

Reactions: Logethica

Richard Riddick

Jul 30, 2016
Hello,
i read the post and understand that no solution found yet.
I'm experiencing the exact same issue you had\have?, i think mine is a bit worse from what i read,
i cant even use Facebook legitimate URL links that open in the Facebook built in browser,
it will popup every 3 pages, always popup at the first link clicked.
Although, i found something useful, if you config google chrome not to allow java script it will not happen again, but some sites will not work.
My solution for now is to use some built in ad-block browser (mine is opera mini and its working but its not a good browser).
I tried every bits of the solutions running on posts but with no luck,
even installing custom OS with cleaning the entire .img files of system, radio etc...completely clean.
I'm thinking it's coming from one of the accounts that is synced, like google photos?maybe some pic is infected or something?
I have this thought cause i'm pretty sure after clean installation when i didn't prompt for any login accounts and chrome was OK, no ads,
once i entered google account problem re-occur.
It will happen on any legitimate link like news site, eBay, Facebook, any site will get a popup.
what do you think?
Thanks

Reactions: Ink

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Occasionally see these kinds of links don't click on or do anything they say. I would recommend closing the tab and if in any worry of infection scan with an AV app. :)

Richard Riddick

Jul 30, 2016
AV's is not finding any problem, every app is saying ALL GOOD.
What are you telling me? that this is some Mutant POPUP ads and we have nothing to do with that?
it's popping up every second, vibrating the phone, enforcing me to close the browser, re enter the page, after few more clicks, again and again.
What is it? the new generation of ads?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Richard Riddick Can you check Settings > Security > Device Administrators and post what's listed. Uncheck anything suspicious.

And what version of Android, Settings > About. Under Software version and Patch Level?

As for an alternative Android browser, try Firefox. It functions very similar to their desktop software and supports numerous add-ons, including Ad-blockers of your choice.

Richard Riddick

Jul 30, 2016
@Richard Riddick Can you check Settings > Security > Device Administrators and post what's listed. Uncheck anything suspicious.

And what version of Android, Settings > About. Under Software version and Patch Level?

As for an alternative Android browser, try Firefox. It functions very similar to their desktop software and supports numerous add-ons, including Ad-blockers of your choice.
Hi,
Device administrator listing only 2:
Gmail
Android Device Manager

Android Version is 6.0.1
Security patch is June 1, 2016

I used Firefox, he was my favorite, unfortunate same as chrome, every 3-5 pages, popup.
But i will try it with the ad-block.

Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Scan with your Antivirus and one additional second-opinion scanner ie. Malwarebytes or Zemana (both free versions).

Reactions: Richard Riddick
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.