Angry Windows 7 user calls Microsoft Edge malware

Bonorex

Level 1
Jun 12, 2020
We are lucky that Microsoft's attempt to extend their tentacles on mobile phones failed miserably. Just imagine how nagging Microsoft would have been on mobile phones, if Windows Phone hadn't disappeared. Thanks god, there still exists a world (mobile phones) that is almost Microsoft-free.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
We are lucky that Microsoft's attempt to extend their tentacles on mobile phones failed miserably. Just imagine how nagging Microsoft would have been on mobile phones, if Windows Phone hadn't disappeared. Thanks god, there still exists a world (mobile phones) that is almost Microsoft-free.
Have you ever used Windows Phone? I did for several years and you know what, if they ever release new Windows Phone with better app support I will jump on it straight away.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
" How is it that Microsoft can't manage to provide security updates for Windows 7, as it is end of life, but still manage to force a new web browser that isn't wanted on Windows 7 users?"
Easy. It's based on Chromium. So as long as Google supports it then so will Microsoft. They already answered this like months ago.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
Have you ever used Windows Phone? I did for several years and you know what, if they ever release new Windows Phone with better app support I will jump on it straight away.
I've heard the same from two friends who used Windows phones. I never tried one but I could be persuaded to give it a whirl if it ever came back. But to the Edge story, that's just amazing. His wife was terrified ... terrified, I tell you. I needed a smile today, and that story did it.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Forcing average users to try a new web browser is kinda abusing, especially when this new web browser imports automatically private data (like passwords).(n)
Unfortunately, such advertising is rather common nowadays.:(
By the way, my wife liked Windows Phone.:)

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Edge on 7 is a security update, it is meant to replace the insecure and outdated IE. Users should be glad MS still cares about the unsupported 7.
For the record, it is not like they are forced to use it, just like with IE. It is for users, who can not install/find an updated browser by themselves.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Edge on 7 is a security update, it is meant to replace the insecure and outdated IE. Users should be glad MS still cares about the unsupported 7.
For the record, it is not like they are forced to use it, just like with IE. It is for users, who can not install/find an updated browser by themselves.
It is probably some truth in the above argumentation. But, it would be more convincing if MS would simply replace IE with some information about what they did and why they did it. They simply took advantage of doing something good to bundle it with advertising. I am not surprised - most corporations do similar things every time when it is possible.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
My neighbour uses internet banking via Chrome on XP. He has got a new laptop with 10, but he does not know, how to save bookmarks there, so XP it is. 😅
Yes, that is a common problem. Many users have a serious problem when an application is changed to another one. Changing the Windows from XP to 10 can be a shock to them. But, Windows can produce more surprises for them. My mother was sure that she had got a virus when she saw the black configuration screen after a major Windows update. My friend thought that Windows was spoiled, because after updating to ver. 1903 the login screen background was blurred. Such problems are common for the 60+ age generation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.