ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
The ongoing Russia Ukraine war has a new player – the Anonymous hacker collective. Amidst Russia’s offensive against Ukraine, Anonymous hackers have claimed to have taken down several Russian government websites, and RT.com, the website of the state-controlled television network.
This war is real war, not war "for dummies".

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Hacker anonymous has published a list of emails of high-ranking government officials on Twitter (obtained after the hack on the website of minsitry of defense). Twitter has removed that post because it is a violation of its (privacy) policy: LINK-twitter

Probably Russian hackers and security companies are to busy defending Russia's own data infrastructure, I had expect Russia to take down Ukraine's internet (and telecom and energy infrastructure) by now, but President Zelenskyy is still broadcasting his messages on the internet: LINK-youtube

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

As posted I am surprised that internet, tele-communications and energy infrastructure in Ukraine are still up and running. So Putin's control in the digital warfare is disappointing from the Russian point of view. Also the 'progress' in physical warfare is disappointing (as explained below).

After neutralizing the Ukraine airforce in the early hours of the first night. Russia has air supremacy, meaning it can destroy Ukraine tanks and armored vehicles when they move or engage in battle. I have seen some footage of Ukraine artillery and tanks being destroyed by Russian airforce, leaving Ukraine light infantry to face overwhelming Russian airforce and tanks in an insanely heroic fight (Ukrainians were asked to stop sharing footage on social media).

Because the Ukraine army did not response by army movements, they still have a substantial part of heavy armory. This is a problem for the Russians because their forces can still meet heavy resistance (Ukraine infantry supported by hidden or dug-in heavy armory). That is why Russia is moving so slow (three days of battle). Kiev is 'only' 220 kilometers away from Belarus border. Russian tanks have an cruising speed of 50 km/hour (top speed 80-90 km/hour). Russia's only substantial ground-war victory after three days of battle is that they claim to have concurred the southern Ukraine city of Melitopol (which is less than150 km from Russian annexed Crimea peninsula).

Ukrainians have a legacy of heroic citizen's battle's facing stronger armies (battle on Kiev in second world war). This is why the heroic "go F*#K yourself" of the Ukraine border control of snake island is used by Ukraine President to build on this heritage (and that is why they are handling over weapons to civilians). Russia has not enough soldiers mobilized (estimated 150.000 engaged in this war) to control the whole of Ukraine when people go into resistance.

Putin's best shot on a fast victory is to conquer the city of Kiev and install a marionet government. His numerous requests to Ukraine army to take over power and settle for peace have not met much acclaim by the Ukraine army generals (they kept silent). Every day the city of Kiev remains in the hands of the Ukraine democratic chosen government, means control is slipping away from Putin.

On top of that NATO-countries are offering Ukraine anti-air and ant-tank missiles (which can be fired from the shoulder), so Putin has to block supply from EU to Ukraine. Expect him to use his airborne forces to start to block logistic hubs in the west of Ukraine. When he does not manage block these mobile weapons to reach the encircled cities in Ukraine his control is really slipping away.

So in terms of digital and phyisical warfare Putin is not showing the world he is in control. Question to Russian members: how are the Russian media selling this to Russian people?

EDIT: An ITV news reported has seen a document related to mobilizing medical assistance for injured Russian soldiers Link-to-Twitter So it seems Putin thinks it is going to slow and is preparing a large scale engagement of ground forces with a lot of expected casualties on Russian side. Large scale order-plan-inform-deploy cycle's usually take up to 48 - 72 hours. So expect large scale attacks when Kiev city does not get into hands of Russian troops within three days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I had seen the information.
Many sites have been blocked (banks, Russia Today channel etc)

On the other hand, Russian hackers would have also disrupted sites like Facebook

Reactions: JB007 and oldschool

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
The bad part oh this war for the russian people is that they will suffer most from the sanctions imposed by nato and eu. And they don’t even know about the sanctions because, from my understanding, the local televisions are obligated to show only what putin wants them to show. Even the soldiers are confused. They don’t know where they are, what they are doing in Ukraine, ran out of fuel, ran out of food. All the russians, all of the ukrainian people must suffer because of mad mad with megalomaniac tendencies.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

The bad part oh this war for the russian people is that they will suffer most from the sanctions imposed by nato and eu.
The Russian economy is a rather closed economy, only 5 percent of export income from grain, gas and oil returns to Russian people. The largest part of the Russian export revenues goes to a small ring of oligarch's and of course the Russian state (taxes, drilling rights and export & operating licenses) which is used to pay for the huge military expenses of the second largest army in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stelica

Level 2
Sep 27, 2021
The Russian economy is a rather closed economy, only 5 percent of export income from grain, gas and oil returns to Russian people. The largest part of the Russian export revenues goes to a small ring of oligarch's and of course the Russian state (taxes, drilling rights and export & operating licenses) which is used to pay for the huge military expenses of the second largest army in the world.
I think that the second largest army in the world has China (it is possible to be the first)!

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
anonymous are not heros, they are criminals, they are mainly anarchists and hacktivists that want to topple capitalism and all governments without regard to what that would do to people

Unless I'm mistaken, Anonymous is not a criminal but an ideology, and the defenders of values such as freedom of expression.

Certainly their actions can be discussed (especially DDoS attacks), but it is their principle...

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
anonymous they are criminals, they do illegal hacking - their ideology makes no difference, their activities are criminal
they would topple world markets if they could
every single one of them should be hunted down, prosecuted and thrown in jail
I don't see Anonymous as being criminals, or anarchists. Given the size of MalwareTips, it would not surprise me to learn some members were involved with Anonymous.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
They took down russiatoday, wich is good site in my opinion. I have watched bunch of good documents from there. hope the war stops

Reactions: oldschool

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
the core of anonymous ideology is anarchy and anticapitalism, they would topple your govt and financial markets without regard to the harms it causes people because they want revolution
they just took down a russian powerplant that heats the homes of millions of ordinary russian citizens
anonymous are dirtbags
It's war. Look at what's happening in Ukraine. Because a government does it, it's okay? If citizens do it, that's bad? I also question whether Anonymous is anti-capitalist. Bringing down financial markets would also affect them to some degree. At this point in time, I'd tend to trust them more than either the Russian, Ukraine, OR what my own government says. As for the news media, they lost me many years ago.

Reactions: JB007

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
anonymous themselves have put out many messages over the years that they are anarchist, anticapitalist and their whole goal is to cause a violent revolution
anonymous launched numerous attacks during occupy wall street and g20 summits, it has attacked stock markets across the world and central banks
you simply choose to ignore it
Keagga, as Chris Jericho would say, "shut the hell up."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.